Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They forgot Autodesk Sketchbook and I'd include Plumbago too.

Omazic.iv and WillAdams like this.
  2. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

That was pretty good. I have gone back and forth myself and more than once. I would add:

- Windows Update is a steaming pile of sh*t. Apple Update always works smoothly and quickly for me. Night and day between those two.

- If you have a favorite app on either platform that is not on the other, then switching is hard. VoodooPad is Mac-only and while there are offerings in the personal wiki category that run on Windows, none of them are quite the same. This can go in the other direction too.

However, between cross platform apps and browser-based apps, you can get most things on both platforms. Dropbox, Chrome, Spotify, Sublime Text, etc.

Edit: In the Windows world, you have more choice. Want a 17" laptop with 32GB RAM for software development? You can get that and other exotic combos.

Omazic.iv likes this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Sorry, but I totally disagree. I regularly lend a hand to my non-tech savvy friends and I have seen weird updates cause inexcusable bugs in Mac OS X. Over the years, it seems to me that Mac OS X has gotten a bit buggier since Steve Jobs left and Tim Cook took the helm. Here are some examples:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8019574?start=0&tstart=0
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7918941?start=0
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/31764883#message31764883
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/31580381#message31580381

Steve S and Omazic.iv like this.
  4. Omazic.iv

Omazic.iv Pen Pal - Newbie

Well that statement can be truth, but windows update is still s***, things like: you have 4 updates and need to reboot, fine do that, after reboot there are 3 more updates and you need to reboot one more time?!? LOL

And when they introduce new update system in Win 10 that was looking like what to you? To me it looked like you are on Borg operating system, no choices at all what you want, when and how (ok now things are getting where they where before and it is better) and you just need to adopt to choices from Microsoft?!?

And my last one how about instead of update on win7, win8, 8.1 you get win10 you want it or not??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Art_N00b likes this.
  5. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Compared to Apple where it's "our way or the highway". They're as bad as each other.

dstrauss likes this.
  6. Omazic.iv

Omazic.iv Pen Pal - Newbie

Well yes you are right, and my statement was not Apple MacOS (OSX) is in general better then Windows OS, I was just talking about Windows Update and Updates under MacOS, and this conclusion comes from my personal 4+ years with MBP and clients of mine who have Apple only devices (+ some Hakintosh) ...

7. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a Mac sitting on my desk right next to my Surface Pro. In my opinion, today, the updates on them are about the same. Nearly every time I turn on the Mac, there is the dialog saying I need to do updates. I've never in many years had an update really break anything at the OS level. I have had a couple of times over the last two years that Outlook misbehaved after an update; but I would not consider that to be different between them.

8. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

Just saw an invite from Microsoft for August 15 to meet the newest members of the Surface family. Do you thinks it's just talking about Surface Pro and Laptop, or announcing the next new member?

9. Art_N00b

I agree that Apple has lost it since Jobs passed away. No updates to Mac Pro and Mac Mini in *years*. Less quality. etc.

I disagree that Apple and Microsoft are somehow equal in their update story. Those are complex situations and the chances of them magically landing on equal amounts of shi**iness are really slim.

I will say that I might be getting some insulation from sticking with an older MacOS version. But my ratio of hours_in_update_hell(Microsoft) / hours_in_update_hell(Apple) is HUGE.

And on both platforms, I typically will NOT upgrade to a new major operating system version on an existing machine, in order to avoid the kinds of problems that were linked above. Instead, I buy a new machine with the new operating system and sell the old one. That used to work in both environments, but now that Apple will not update the Mac Pro, I'm kind of stuck there.

10. Art_N00b

Getting back to Surface Pro 2017, was there ever a determination if the problems were unevenly divided between the i5 and the i7? I know there was some speculation that maybe the i7 was more problematic.

I'm curious because a fanless i5 sounds pretty sweet. I have the fanless m3 SP4 which is a fine little machine, but 4GB RAM limits it to a recliner-side browsing & note taking tool.