Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

You know ... it's funny. With WOA on the horizon and the fact that I am quite happy with my current set up, I was kinda happy that the Pro 4s was not supposto be that much of an improvement to be tempting to me. But the fanless I5, the lighter weight, 13 hour battery life and pen improvements have me curious. Damn them.

2. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yea I am thinking bout it more and I always have to have the latest and greatest. if I can get a good sale on my current SP4 then maybe. if not, f-it and I will stay with the SP4.

if anyone sees one at BestBuy leave a shout out since MS store is way to far for me in NC

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

NVM SSD....on PCIe....

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

so is the SSD faster on the SP4 or the new SP? just curious?

5. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Just went to 5th Ave flagship store to check the new things. They have a couple arrived last night, but only SP & type cover. New pens are not there yet. I got a MS logo tote and cap ^-^
    I like the slightly curved edges now. Overall the form factor is slightly better than SP4 due to it. But nothing spectacular.
    The SSD is SAMSUNG KUS020203M-B000. Have not Googled it for specs, but it is different from Surface Laptop's TOSHIBA.

Did not test many things, but ran a high framerate video playback and the device managed to stay cool. The CPU was mostly under 1GHz, and I did see frame drop. When it occasionally boost up to 1.5G or higher, the frame drop is gone.

The device was not heating up after I played the video for 5min (with Edge), which is impressive compared to my SP3...

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have to ask... jnjroach....since you've been wearing an nonstop grin from tormenting us for these past few months......was the May 23rd unveil always the plan? Even as far back as February? Too many hands in the kitchen ruins the soup, and given all the rumor filled buzz for the past few months.....it almost feels like this "New Pro" could have been unveiled earlier......or even later. Just how set in stone was this launch?

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I know - that was a lame attempt at humor - I think...:)

I wonder if I took a belt sander to my SP4...:confused:

jnjroach likes this.
  8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Wow, so much reaction! Can you sense how much pent-up emotion this forum had for the SP5? :p

I've got a lot to editorialize like @dstrauss, but we'll save that for another time...

For now, let's focus on the juicy details of the pen tech!

@wataru and I have been doing some private testing, and there is good evidence to support this. ;)

Here is a more detailed description of the new digitizer operation:

(The Verge)
    “What’s so cool about the hardware ink stuff is that our touch controller, that’s custom to us, talks to our new custom silicon, the display accelerator, and sends the pen data ahead of the operating system,” explains Bathiche. “We actually write directly onto the screen from the pen. Windows now has an API that will talk to our piece of silicon and that will tell our piece of silicon what color and what font to write.”

So in other words this is Microsoft's first totally custom controller, not based off of N-Trig chips in the SP4.

Previously, I wrote about how Microsoft's new DirectInk API almost eliminated the software input lag:

[​IMG]

This new controller is now, MS attack on the input latency from the hardware side.

The net result of these two combined technologies is the ~100 ms of stroke input lag has been cut down to an incredible ~21ms. This brings the input lag to under half of Wacom UD EMR (~50ms in our initial tests). We still need to test how this compares to Cintiq-grade DTK EMR, but I'm quite sure the new MS digitizer has that beat too.

Now all we need to do is verify that the Studio can achieve this same latency reduction with the new Surface pen...

Another note, I'm not sure if people caught this, but @~59:40 mark of the presentation stream (thanks @Omazic.iv), when Panos starts talking about the pen (he saves all the best bits for himself doesn't he ;)):

[​IMG]

He mentions one small detail that doesn't appear on screen:

"9 grams activation force"

Which is still rather high...but the fact that Panos specifically mentions activation force at all, means all of @surfaceproartist's protests do have an effect.

And that's the one silver lining in all our complaints...MS is paying attention to every subtle detail of the pen. :thumbsup:

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Utan-chan, Selofain, wataru and 4 others like this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You sure that's not "editorialize about dstrauss":oops:

Kumabjorn and Marty like this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

@steves mentioned that he thought it felt much lighter, even lighter than the Surface 3, did you have the same experience?