Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It's threads like this one that remind me why I should stick it out with my trusty SP4 until the REAL Surface Pro 5 arrives, or WOA makes us shout Woooooooowwwwwwww....

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

And then they will have other problems at launch just like this, sp4, book, sp3 an so on.
    And we’ll be here once again. :D

dstrauss likes this.
  3. Omazic.iv

Omazic.iv Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes this model is only Tock from my point of view... and that REAL SP5 should be Tick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You know, this place is like one big AA meeting after another...

dbrn and Azzart like this.
  5. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

Too many complains we got here. I have to decide, what is the closest product to nSP? Dell's 7285 maybe?

6. fareakydrooler

fareakydrooler Pen Pal - Newbie

But it can't, because the offset depends on the tilt of the pen. You can calibrate it for a specific angle but the moment you hold the pen at a different angle it will be wrong. In theory using the tilt data it should be able to reliably correct it so that it registers the touch right under the tip of the pen. I understand that having the cursor appear at the wrong position is completely unacceptable though.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

As I was reading @Azzart 's post, I was thinking how much this sounded like some therapy thread.

My, how we suffer.

nnthemperor, dstrauss and Azzart like this.
  8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Ok, but you should at least be able to calibrate it for a specific angle.
    In this case it's not possible: I just fooled the calibration to make it so that the mark after the cursor jump appears more or less where the tip is in normal use, but the jump is random so it doesn't always jump and it'll mark where a normal pen would. More, if I'm holding the device the jump most certainly won't happen and in that case the calibration would be all messed up. ;)

9. Bergman

Bergman Scribbler - Standard Member

If you don't use this in portrait mode and don't do text based work with a white background it won't bother you at all. I gave up on mine and got another Book for now but wish I could have gotten a nSP instead. I don't know why everyone is focusing on the light bleed though because that is not the major issue. The major issue is there is a dark band just above the light bleed area and that is what is so terribly distracting. The screen uniformity is clearly an issue here even if people want to sweep it under the rug and it has been visible on every single unit I have looked at or owned. I have three surface Books, a SP3, and an old Surface regular and none of those units come close to the screen issues that Azzart has thoroughly documented here.

Again, users will be bothered or not based on use cases and my colleague logs his and is keeping it. I asked him about the screen and he said what issue? I opened OneNote, turned it to portrait and there it was. He said, oh, I never use this in portrait.

Now I don't want to beat an Azzart horse in the ground more than we already have but this IS a problem that can't be fixed with a driver or firmware update so I am very disappointed in Microsoft here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting coverage of both the sleep issue and lightbleed issue in this week's Windows Weekly episode on TWIT. https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly/episodes/527?autostart=false

I'm sure some people (like the one that returned 12 machines) would take great exception to what they said, but personally my opinion is pretty similar to Paul's. I also agree with Leo that once people start going looking for things they will find issues they never would have noticed if an issue hadn't been made of it.