Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Looks like it's time to set up an official discussion thread so we don't have all our rants and compaints... er umm I mean all our positive feedback and endless optimism mixed up in various scattered threads.

Anyhoo, so far we have some leaked pics which show off a device identical to the SP4. Rumors are the only change will be an upgrade to Kaby Lake but no USB-C, although it's very early to say that. Microsoft has an event in China on May 23rd which many suspect will the announcement of the next surface pro. Oh yeah, it won't be the surface pro 5, but rather the "surface Pro", meaning Microsoft has found Apple's naming conventions sufficiently confusing for it to adopt. Hey you can't have technology these days without a confusing naming convention, can you?

So:
    -Panos has stated no SP5 in name, but looks like this was simply a play on semantics and it will be the "pro"
    -Identical to the SP4 with an upgrade to Kaby Lake, no USB-C, no other changes
    -Different colored pens/keyboards
    -Official launch may be 5/23

1.jpg 2w.jpg 3w.jpg 4w.jpg 5w.jpg 6w.jpg

dbrn likes this.
  2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My initial thoughts are meh, but that's a very high quality meh. Even though I'm disappointed there are no new features, it's not thinner, etc I still realize it's the absolute BEST tablet out there in my opinion even after 18 months of life. Will I buy it? Yeah I probably will, it will replace my SP4, which will in turn replace the SP3 powering my work setup. I'm hoping it will have a bit more power (I'm looking at you Adobe DC), and better battery life.

The lack of any innovation in battery life is probably my greatest disappointment. This tablet really needs a solid 8 hours of battery life, versus the 4-5 hours it gets in reality. I'd also like to see a switch to Wacoms standard where you can use any stylus, in a dream world I could use the stylus from the upcoming Note 8 and not have to worry about losing the $80 MS stylus.

No LTE again? That's a bummer, but I guess I've used my mobile share and am used to it at this point, guess it saves me another $20/month with my carrier.

3. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

4. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A German blog received info from Microsoft that there won't be a livestream from the Shanghai event. This again points to a rather uneventful event...

So this SP refresh is probably all anyone can hope for. Well, unless you are in China and eager to buy some Surface products.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Windows Central claims that they will be covering the event, but I'm not sure if they mean video coverage or just tweets on any note-worthy reveals.

As for the "Surface Pro," I would hope that they would refresh a few other things such as the pen/digitizer as well as the processor. Type Cover keyboard colors, not a big draw for me...

Finally, the Wacom dual-protocol pen might be another worthy update.

6. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ah, great. So instead of just making it easy with Surface Pro 2/3/4/5 we're now just going to call it Surface Pro and future discussions will talk about "Surface Pro (2017)," "Surface Pro (2018)."

Got it, thanks Microsoft.

Utan-chan, kvoram and Telstar1948 like this.
  7. Steve S

I'm going to suggest that we refer to it as "Surface Pro 4U" for Updated...

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I suspect the dropping the "5" was more so for overall brand conformity. They Have a Surface Book, a Surface Studio, a Surface Laptop, and a Surface Pro 5? Dropping the numerical designation on the Pro allows them to streamline their entire Surface Line into Pro, Book, Studio, and Laptop....without any numbers setting one product apart from the rest.

9. YVerloc

YVerloc Pen Pal - Newbie

Am I the only one who thinks that the new Surface Pro looks a tad bigger than the 4? I'm judging by the size of the pen relative to the screen. To my eye, the unit looks maybe 1 cm taller than the sp4. Is this just wishful thinking blinding me, or is the ne SP a 14" machine?

Omazic.iv likes this.
  10. Steve S

<<...Am I the only one who thinks that the new Surface Pro looks a tad bigger than the 4?..>>

...My guess is that it's more likely that the pen has changed (which it has) than the Surface Pro. However, between the leaks predicted today and the formal announcement tomorrow, we won't have long to wait!

Wierdninja and sonichedgehog360 like this.