Surface Pro 2 VS Lenovo's ThinkPad Yoga?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by sky12345, Oct 30, 2013.

1. sky12345

sky12345 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello!

My rerererererersearch has brought me to these 2 beast of machines, my requirements for my dream machine is to be able to do this:

Handle PhotoShop ~ etc. without a hitch, a Pressure Sensitive Wacom Digitizer, FULL HD, and be able to handle low-mid range games satisfactorily.
    I will mostly be using this device for graphic art and illustration/painting, and gaming occasionally.

SURFACE PRO 2
    For $1,299 (including a 10% student discount)

Buy the Microsoft Surface Pro 2 on Windows 8.1
    I can get the Surface Pro 2 with 10.6 inch screen, Haswell i5, 8GB ram, 256gb SSD + Type Cover 2

I was really close to buying this last night (late night purchases always make me lol in the morning.

THINKPAD YOGA
    For $1,399 (preorder at Microsoft store, how ironic)

Buy Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga Touchscreen 2-in-1, Core i7 - Microsoft Store
    I can get the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga with 12.5 inch screen, Haswell i7, 8gb ram, 256gb SSD (keyboard included)

Both have Intel 4400 so gaming won't be a problem in either one (my main concern is League of Legends, and my Sony with Intel HD 4000 works fine, 4400 should be a step up of course)

This the difference in screens,

12,5-inch-16x9-vs-10,6-inch-16x9.jpg

SO TO YOU GUYS, Why would I want a Surface Pro 2 over the ThinkPad Yoga?

And vice versa, why would I want a ThinkPad Yoga over the Surface Pro 2?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    Tor likes this.
  2. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My problem with the ThinkPad Yoga is the fact it has a body and weight of a 13in device, but a 12.5in display. They easily could have fit a 13.1in display in there. Not to mention the battery life is a bit sub-par for models with the 1080p display(something like 5-6 hours for the i5 and 5 for the i7), based on the information Lenovo has given us.

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Still, if it were me and I had to choose between one or the other, I think I would opt for the larger screen and more real estate for drawing. SP is too cramped for my liking, and the Yoga seems more functional as a laptop which makes it more useful in a larger sense.

The build quality on the Surface Pro should be better though. They are very nice machines. The Yoga may be hit or miss for quality control, but certainly higher end than a cheap Acer or something.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Funny, but the things that make the Yoga attractive to Stoneseeker make the Surface Pro 2 look like the better choice for me. Small display, thinner profile and lighter weight would tip my choice to the Surface Pro 2, but I'm looking for a mobile device for note taking, etc., not for Art. That seems to be a dividing line among tablet users. Since your uses are closer to his, I think the Yoga is a better choice for you.

Mesosphere and stoneseeker like this.
  5. Nippero

Nippero Pen Pal - Newbie

Thinking about the same two devices myself...

One thing to note about the battery life estimate from Lenovo, someone else from the Thinkpad Yoga thread on the notebook forum mentioned that it may be a more conservative estimate since Lenovo has had complaints in the past about its battery life estimates for Thinkpads.

Being a Thinkpad user myself, and after playing with a SP2 at bestbuy, the SP2 definitely feels better because of the metal body.. But as for ultimate durability and lifetime, I'd still bet on the Thinkpad. My T410 has a pretty beefy (read: THICK) solid magnesium frame under all the plastic which can really take a beating lol.

6. raptir

raptir Pen Pal - Newbie

If I were deciding between the devices it would really boil down to how I would use the device more.

The Surface Pro 2 is a great tablet. At 2lbs it would be reasonable to use one handed with the stylus for some time. The type cover is great for use on a hard surface as a laptop. Where it would fall short (for me) would be use as a laptop. The stand is better than the Pro 1 for lap use, but it's still a little awkward, especially over longer periods of time.

The Yoga is a great laptop that also happens to have tablet functionality. At 4lbs it's heavy for a 13" ultrabook and would be difficult to use in one hand without propping it up. Lenovo even sells 14" ultrabooks that weigh less than the Yoga.

7. sky12345

My actual work uses are :

For 4-5 hours weekdays, I spend in front of my 15.6" laptop working on graphic design (logos, art, setting up for screenprinting) for my company, whichever device I get will be replacing this laptop.

Outside of work:

Illustrating, designing, and competitive League of Legends gaming.

For some really weird reason, I'm really strongly feeling like getting the Surface Pro 2, but the screen size is indeed pretty small, even though the ThinkPad Yoga has a bigger screen, i7, I'm still leaning towards the Surface Pro 2. I don't know why.

I was also thinking of getting external monitors for my workstation at work, and at home, and use the Surface Pro 2 as this ridiculously badass all-in-one device.

Am I foolish?

8. Nippero

Nippero Pen Pal - Newbie

I see the appeal of that. You would basically have the same consistent "workspace" or "environment" no matter where you are.
    No need to wonder if the program you have on your desktop is also on your laptop, no need to worry about things going weird because your two devices are configured differently. Everything is always with you :eek:

I would do that if I could actually give up my desktop, but theres no way any laptop will be replacing that thing any time soon. (Its a gaming desktop I built myself).

I have considered hooking up all my desktop stuff to a KVM, connecting that to a dock, and then just docking my portable device for whenever I want to do work. And keeping the desktop for just gaming/editing.

It would be similar to your idea, basically the small screen would no longer matter when I'm actually sitting down and working. But then when I'm on the move, I have a nicely sized 10" tablet that has all of my work on it.

Theres also an appeal to just having so much power in a such a small, well-built device.

9. sky12345

Going along with your idea, I've never had a Cintiq or anything like that, but the idea of being able to paint, to truly digitally paint makes me so happy haha.

The other thing that's making my left brain fight my impulsive right brain is, I can do this with the Thinkpad, it's a tad bit more expensive, but I also get i7.

10. Nippero

Nippero Pen Pal - Newbie

I see your point, and I had the same thoughts.
    The main thing drawing me to the SP2 is how it feels

I'm not sure how the Thinkpad Yoga is built, but if its anything like my Thinkpad T410, I prefer the SP2.

Sure the Thinkpads are ultimately, virtually, indestructible. But they dont feel that way.
    My T410 bounces around in my Timbuk2 Messenger with no other protection, bits of the plastic corners have chipped off (probably because I tend to throw/drop by bag), some ports are (somehow) smashed with no apparent damage to the plastic surrounding it, and the screen flex is insane.
    But it still works almost 100%. I only started having issues with the screen half blanking out and the F3-3-E-D-C column on the keyboard dying this past two months. Both issues fixable with a swift smack to the thing.
    So with this fact in mind, I concede that the Thinkpads were likely built this way; plastic outer shell flexes and passes the force on to the internal magnesium frame.

But I dont like it ):
    My $1,300 (at the time) T410 feels like a $400 plastic laptop.
    I like the solid feeling I get from holding a SP2. No creaks, no flexing, just the nice cold feeling of a solid slab of hardware.
    Granted I'll probably actually use a case for the SP2 where I dont bother to with the T410.

11. sky12345

Is the i7 processor that much of a bump over the i5?

I'm really enjoying the idea of a powerhouse all in one tablet that I can take anywhere and use as a main computer.

If I do get the SP2, I'll get the Type Cover 2, debating on the $200 dock (which I think should have had speakers on it as well)

Microsoft is offering the 256gb right now for $1,179, and if you're a student you can get a 10% discount on top of that.

12. Nippero

Nippero Pen Pal - Newbie

Whoa where do u see it for that price, if u don't mind me asking. I only see it on the MS store site for 1,299

13. sky12345

14. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But you don't have to pay extra for the keyboard on a Yoga...

I still think for artistic purposes the Yoga is a better buy (not from experience with either device, just based on specs)

i7 vs. i5 won't be much difference if they are both ULV and same generation, so unless you are constantly running demanding VM tasks, rendering intense stuff with After Effects or similar programs, or something else maxxing out the processor, it wouldn't be that noticeable. I prefer to future proof a machine the best I can though.

15. Nippero

Nippero Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok sorry for dragging this off topic but whaaaat. I clicked the link and still see 1,299. Do you have some sort of discount from your employer?

16. sky12345

LOL...................... The only Type Cover 2 keyboard available is the Magenta one :(

Just yesterday they were available (charcoal)

I think they're close to selling out on these (surface pro 2 256gb)

17. sky12345

I don't :S Try the live chat option, and show them the screenshot, they're surprisingly helpful.

18. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

Glad someone's asking about these 2. I'm thinking of selling my t901 for one of these. I really liked the 1st Pro when I played with it at the MS store awhile back. I messed mostly with the default paint program they had (I forget the name) and found it incredibly responsive. Admittedly, I'd be using it for primarily Adobe products which were not installed on the floor room model so I don't know how those perform but I've heard good things for the most part. I'm more concerned about screen real estate;I'm just not sure it's enough. Oh, and the keyboard was atrocious. I like the t901 enough but it's just too heavy for me. So, now I'm thinking one of these 2 or the Helix. What do you guys think? Again, almost primarily for artwork (and websurfing).

19. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I know what you mean about the solid feel of the Surface. Mine was solid.

20. zendragon

zendragon Pen Pal - Newbie

If you want this device to do everything, I think the Yoga is better for you. If you don't have a Cintiq and you are using this for professional/semi-professional art, the larger screen will make a difference.

I am in a similar boat, debating between the smaller, more portable option, and the roomier large screen option. (Though the Yoga isn't on my list for different reasons) What draws me back to the SP2 every time is just how cool it is. There isn't another tablet/hybrid like it out there. The keyboard really is great and the kickstand really is pretty innovative. But, just because it's cool, doesn't mean it's better.

The SP2 feels sturdier, and might be in many ways, but is also the hardest device in the history of the universe to repair if something were to break on it. Lenovo on the other hand is easier to repair, and while the design isn't as cool, it might be more functional for an artist to work more full time on it.