Surface Pro 2 - Rust

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by minnus, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minnus

minnus Pen Pal - Newbie

Something strange has developed on my Surface Pro 2 (256 GB). Today, I noticed some discoloration on the Type Cover. On closer inspection, it looks like rust. This looks like a major flaw, especially since I've had the SP2 for under a month. Sadly, this is tipping me towards returning instead of exchanging.

IMG_20131112_221804.jpg IMG_20131112_221845.jpg IMG_20131112_221942.jpg

2. Nippero

Nippero Pen Pal - Newbie

Looks more like something dirty got stuck in there...
    Did you try just wiping it away?
    Magnesium doesnt rust by the way, it corrodes but it doesnt oxidize like iron would.

3. minnus

minnus Pen Pal - Newbie

It is apparently not a new issue:

Rust on type cover keyboard spine via magnet connectors.. - Microsoft Community

"Ok. So today I went to my local MS store in San Juan, Puerto Rico with the issue of rust-like particles on both keyboard spine and tablet docking section for the keyboard. It turns out these rust like particles were pieces of the magnets that were coming of the bottom of the tablet."

It certainly isn't just 'dirty' unfortunately. It isn't very clear from the picture, but there is an actual indent at the rust spots (there are multiples, but the extremely obvious one is the one I uploaded). The docking strip also seems to be made of different material than the rest of the body.

4. Nippero

Nippero Pen Pal - Newbie

Huh that is interesting..

And actually it does make sense MS would put a chunk of iron or something there, since MG isnt magnetic.

I would still ask you to just try to clean it, so we could see more clearly whats going on in those spots, but then if you do so MS might blame it on you. So never mind.

Kinda troubling though.. But I guess contact MS or try the store like the guy in your linked post did. Keep us updated?

5. minnus

minnus Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm quite surprised no one else has had this problem. I must have a bad egg.

6. Nippero

Nippero Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea thats possible I guess, maybe your's was part of a bad batch that had an improper coating or something.
    Or maybe you just work in super humid and wet environments? lol

Hopefully MS will take care of it for you

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I saw this on the first Gen RT and Touch Cover, its from the magnetic connector and wipes off....

8. minnus

minnus Pen Pal - Newbie

It wipes off from the Type Cover, but it does not wipe off from the Surface. Rust doesn't simply 'wipe' off from the source...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.