Surface Pro 2 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...How tricky is it to replace the fan(s) in one of these?..>>

...Unless you have well-developed tinkering skills, and the right tools, it's not practical to consider this. If the fan needed to be replaced (if it wasn't some simple, on the spot repair), then you'd need a replacement fan and you could only get that from another SP2.

For its part, Microsoft simply replaces defective units with refurbished ones...

2. goodeggguy

goodeggguy Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, good to know. Thanks Steve. That does indeed sound like a baaad thing.

3. Steve S

4. goodeggguy

goodeggguy Pen Pal - Newbie

That's a really useful resource. Thank you so much Steve!

5. Dr. Boosh

Dr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm having issues with the SP2 sleeping on it's own. I've gone through Device Manager to disable any hardware waking, but if I let the screen timeout and then go to its sleepy-time cutoff, it won't sleep.

Hardware button seems to be fine though.

With a -54mV undervolt and turbo-boost disabled, I'm getting between 6:45-7:30 of battery life with ~10% battery wear.

6. Dr. Boosh

This machine will not sleep on it's own. Very strange. I really don't want to reset it, so I may stick to hibernate for the time being.

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If you go to Command Prompt as administrator, you should be able to run powercfg.exe -requests which should show you what's keeping your device awake.

8. Dr. Boosh

Trust me. I tried everything. This is a noted problem with some units, and obviously mine is affected. For some reason, even as administrator, powercfg requests to override drivers or hardware is denied because of unelevated permissions. Doesn't make sense, as I can't elevate an administrator account even more; Microsoft obviously cut off abilities at some point. Tried same commands in safe mode as well.

With device manager tweaks, rolled back drivers, and EVEN disabled hardware, BTHUSB (Marvell BT) was still showing errors in the Event Log, preventing the SP2 from sleeping.

I finally said screw it and changed the behavior to hubernate. I kind of like it this way now. If I'm downloading something large, I just have the display turn off and don't worry about the connection getting cut off. When I'm done using the tablet, I just hibernate it. Comes back from hibernate pretty quick anyways.

9. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi I've got a quick question about the SP2 pen: Can I replace the nib with a CS-300/400 (feel) nib?

At the moment I only got the original pen here, and i hate the nib in there.

10. Steve S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.