Surface Pro 2 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I know that Microsoft wants to push people to the newer hardware and Windows 10, but WTF?!

On Windows 8.1, Windows Update just pushed my device a Canon Bluetooth driver:

Capture.PNG

Admittedly, it was in the optional category, but still.

Anyway, I figured that it was for some Bluetooth device I had connected to in the past, so I installed it. But no, it instead proceeded to take over as the driver for the Marvell Bluetooth / Wifi card. Obviously, it didn't actually work on the Marvell hardware, so it had the effect of removing all network connectivity. I mean, come on Microsoft, this sort of thing should never happen on your own hardware. I can't imagine what a normal user would have done had that gotten installed.

ships10 and Kumabjorn like this.
  2. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Pen Pal - Newbie

Yesterday I was using my Surface Pro 2 for presentation. There was no problem during the three hours of presentation. I went home and turned on SP2 and found it was doing the update. I believe it is updating to cumulative update of 1511(the most recent update). I needed to check email and hooked up my Mini DP to HDMI cable. To my shock there was no image on my monitor. I used the same setup everyday. Nothing changed except the software update.
    I tried different adapters and none worked. The SP2 cannot even detect the external monitor when I went to display property. After three hours I gave up and think maybe I should reset it. I did a clean reset and still not working. I wonder if anyone has the similar experience? Any suggestions?

3. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Pen Pal - Newbie

To answer my own question, I did a complete reset, cleaned everything and now with a brand new Windows 10 1511 install, it returned to normal. Mini display works again. Wasted my precious 4 hours of tried and error.

Thanks for reading.

4. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, it is 12/10/2015 and everyone is talking about the new Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book. No doubt these are awesome machines.

But...

I don't really have cash to spare right now and stability issues are making it even harder to part with my cash.

I wanted to know how many other folks on this forum are making due with their SP2? I'm still amazed at how flexible my SP2 is. In the dock, it is a decent desktop replacement driving a 2560x1440 display. Then I can take it on the go and still have all of my data and configurations.

Also interesting to note flexibility I have in comparison to SP3/4 users. Amazingly enough, the Power Cover is still available at the MS Store.
    http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/87987/en-us

The same cannot be said of the AC Adapter and the Auto adapter. Most of my battery wear is on my Power Cover. And I can charge my device on the commute without need for an inverter.

So who's still making do with their SP2? ;)

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have mine but use it as a backup machine. I like the screen ratio and weight loss in the SP3 way too much.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

6. goodeggguy

goodeggguy Pen Pal - Newbie

I got a second hand Surface Pro 2 a few days ago and it's great with one exception: the fans sound like there's an angry wasp inside whenever the machine does anything remotely intensive. Now, I don't mind the fans kicking in but they shouldn't be making a noise like someone shoved a bag of nails into a tumble dryer. Is this a problem that's easily fixed? Anyone know who I'd talk to about getting it fixed?

Or, is this the moment when I send the machine back and get a refund?

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Is this a problem that's easily fixed?..>>

...Maybe, maybe not. If you have access to "canned air," sometimes also called a "duster" (used, for example, to blow the dust off a camera lens), then you could try to blow it into the fan chamber (through the edge vent) to clear out any accumulated dust. Other than that, there's not much that I know to advise you to try.

If the fan is still noisy after that, I'd seek a return / refund...

Good luck...

8. goodeggguy

Thanks Steve. I haven't had any luck dislodging dust to make the issue better, so it might mean a bad thing :-(

9. Dr. Boosh

Dr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just returned to a SP2 that I purchased from Steve. I originally had the 4GB model a few years ago, but now I have the 8GB. I still think it's a beautiful machine and remain partial to Wacom EMR.

If any of you are battling fan noise or heat, and are also potentially looking to increase battery life as much as possible, try creating a power profile and throttling the CPU to the point where it doesn't turbo boost. For some, it's 69%, for me it's 68%.

Grab HWMonitor and once you throttle the CPU, look at the Max Freq. If doesn't go above 1.5GHz, you're golden. You'll know if it's boosting because the max with be well about 2.6GHz. This will take care of temps, increase the battery life, and for day-to-day tasks, you'll see no difference in performance.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  10. goodeggguy

I'm always a little wary of any machine with a dodgy fan, I'll admit. Seems like an easy way to cook a laptop. It's not the volume of the noise so much as the fear that the fan will stop working some time soon. How tricky is it to replace the fan(s) in one of these?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.