Surface Pro 2 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milowerx

milowerx Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh yeah? Interesting... No trouble drawing with it huh? My boss had one and I also tried on here in the mall nearby and both times had to push so hard on the screen to even get the pen to register it seemed pointless.
    And thanks on the pencil test! Jes messing around! :)

2. milowerx

milowerx Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's a question maybe one of you can answer:
    Has anyone experienced this as well? I purchased this keyboard:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FG7MMDK?ref_=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i

and it connects fine but the pen does NOT work when it's connected. If I disconnect it the pen works great, reconnect it pen dies within one second of use. My original purple type keyboard that came with it works fine with the pen connected.

Now I do NOT have a Surface Pro 2 pen as I bought my device on eBay used and it did not come with a pen so I am just using a Wacom Penabled pen which again works fine with the original cover, but not with this one which is why I'm asking. Maybe you NEED a Surface Pro 2 pen? Any info would be extremely helpful.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Maybe you NEED a Surface Pro 2 pen?..>>

...No, that's not it. A "penabled" pen should work just fine. But then, so should the keyboard.

I'm not aware of any compatibility problems between SP2 keyboards and pens, so I recommend that you do two things.

<> Install your new Type Cover and then open up the Device Manager and look for any yellow triangles. If you see any, tell us what they are.

<> With your new Type Cover installed, run Windows Update. Install any new downloads that appear. Just in case, do it at least twice (and don't forget to restart between tries... do that at laest twice, too).

There was a period of time where there were keyboard cover issues, and there may be a driver that needs to be updated...

surfaceproartist likes this.
  4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Since this thread has been bumped a bit recently, I have to say, my Pro 2 has been mostly holding up strong with daily use at home and at work, even with all the Windows 10 testing I've been doing on it, but two issues have started recently (other than the fact that the magnesium is scratched up like crazy. As nice as the black finish looks compared to the silver, it doesn't hold up at all.)

The first is that one of my two chargers has a loose connection where the cord goes into the proprietary magnetic piece, and second is that my Type Cover 2 is starting to cause problems. It sometimes causes the Surface to reboot when I snap in the keyboard, and also it is starting to tear along the outer side of the folding seam.

I still have the Microsoft Complete plan until March 2016, but I'm not sure how much help that'll be with the keyboard and charger technically being accessories. I'll have to look into that sometime soon I think.

Just took a look and pretty impressed though with 600 charge cycles and still 36.7 Wh out of 42.0Wh original battery capacity. Definitely am done with the proprietary charging on any future devices though.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@milowerx I haven't seen any issues with the keyboard and pen. It sounds like attaching the keyboard is stopping the pen service (that's not what it's called but I don't have the SP2 in front of me at the moment). Have you installed the latest set of Wacom Feel drivers?

6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just as an update, I finally talked to support about the charger today, and they're replacing that no questions asked. (I basically told them my device wouldn't charge and I knew it wasn't the PC because the docking station works, and the response was "What address will you need the replacement sent to?"). Not sure if that was because of the Complete plan or not, but still it was very hassle free.

7. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Wait, what happened to the original post?

upload_2015-7-23_22-20-52.png

The first post had a bunch of pictures and carefully applied formatting. Could anyone explain why it was converted to text only? I kind of slaved over that post. Maybe there was a good reason, but it's a bit disappointing to come back to one of my magnum opi (magni opi?) and find it back in shambles. And not even a PM to let me know. TPCR, I am disappoint. :(

Edit: I went on a full on rampaaaage, but wayback machine thinks I'm overreacting. Still, would 'a moderator' care to explain what kind of admin edits we can expect on this forum?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    Kumabjorn likes this.
  8. Droidophobe

Droidophobe Scribbler - Standard Member

I have both of these issues. I have 2 different recharger cables, and when either is placed in the magnetic slot, the screen cyclically dims and then brightens again. I've fiddled with the screen brightness and power management settings ad nauseum, and that makes no difference. This problem has gotten worse since I installed Win10, then reverted to 8.1 again (long story).

And I have frequent and extremely annoying rebooting whenever the type cover is in place and then wiggled a little.

I've tried to call Microsoft support several times but couldn't get through to anyone helpful and didn't have time to wait on hold forever.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I have both of these issues...>>

...Have you tried simple fixes, like cleaning the charger, keyboard and Surface electrical contacts with a lint-free cloth (or a Q-tip) just dampened with denatured alcohol?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  10. Droidophobe

Droidophobe Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, blew them out with compressed air and used a Qtip and alcohol (isopropyl not denatured). No effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.