Surface Pro 2 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Well, my initial positive view of MS Complete has taken a nosedive. I filed an advance replacement request to get some warranty work done on my Surface Pro 2, and first, it took way too much time to even get the order in, because of system upgrades ('we'll be back in 10 minutes'). Well, they were back in a few hours.

Once the system was back up I filed the request, and got an email saying "gotcha, you should get an email 24-48h confirming that the replacement has been shipped." Emphasis on 'should' I guess. A week later still nothing. I go to the online support chat. Took 40 minutes to hear "We have escalated this to our care team". Great. Protip: avoid the online chat or the 'callback' option from the surface service page, unless you want to practice patience and brush up on your general knowledge of foreign accents.

Two days later still not a peep from MS. Called the MS Store, and spent 30 minutes on the phone listening to a friendly dude tell me "Don't worry Sir". Given that I could have been without a working device for more than a week I don't think that's what customers are going to want to hear at this point. He also kept saying "We're still within the 3-5 business day response time". Well first off, we're at the end of business day 5, and second, the stated term is two days, not five business days. After significant prodding the guy said that there were supply issues. Maybe they need to wait for another sap to send his or her broken device in so they can 'advance' replace mine?

Edit: Thirteen days since I submitted the ticket, and still no shipping notification. MS is losing some goodwill here. On the plus side, I might get my new TP Yoga 12 before I have to send back my broken SP2.

Edit 2: On March 19, 16 days after I submitted the ticket, I received the advance shipped SP2, without ever getting a shipping confirmation or tracking number. This >$1000 toy was sitting openly on my doorstep without me knowing. If anyone walked off with it, the first I would have noticed is a charge from MS after two weeks for not sending back my broken SP2..

The log for the delivery states "release authorized". I wonder what that means.. I didn't authorize that as far as I know!

upload_2015-3-25_14-29-22.png

On a positive note, restoring from drive image mostly worked, so I lost probably less than an hour on swapping everything to the new SP2.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. Kendra

Kendra Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, would the Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch CTH460 Pen work with the Surface Pro 2?

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Bamboo-Pen-and-Touch/dp/B002OOWC3S

Also, I'm trying to look for a good Surface Pro 2 charger. I've only browsed online for a bit and it seems a lot are rated pretty low.

I'm considering getting a used Surface Pro 2.

Do you guys think a used Surface Pro 2 would likely to at least have 3 hours of battery life for regular usage (web-browsing, running one anti-virus)?

Is it true that the Surface Pro 2 only allows two windows snapped or had there been any update that bumped it to 3?

3. Kendra

Kendra Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  4. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Hmm. I never tried to do something like that. In Desktop mode you can minimize windows to the size you want, but in MUI I'm not sure. I'll see if I can think of anything

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Kendra likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Interesting idea. Maybe with the graphics control panel and unchecking maintain display scaling?

upload_2015-5-11_21-34-22.png

Kendra likes this.
  6. Kendra

Kendra Pen Pal - Newbie

To be more specific, I'm talking about the whole Desktop as that white part, not just a resized program window while the Desktop still being 1080p, full screen.

I don't mind if the Metro UI doesn't allow this but I hope it's possible on Desktop.

Sorry. I don't have the SP2 yet to try.

EDIT: Link is fine.

Have you tried it?

EDIT 2:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/44539

You can select to center image of desktop in intel graphics advance settings control panel scaling with a low resolution and then you get a tiny desktop on a large black screen. It obviously effects the default settings for windows that don´t have this useless setting. So how can you get the intel hd graphics driver without this scaling crap, so applications can run normal also in lower resolutions ?

May anyone please try this? It sounds about what I've been thinking of to compensate for Wacom's weakness.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  7. Kendra

Kendra Pen Pal - Newbie

Do screenprotectors affect Wacom pen peformance?

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Do screenprotectors affect Wacom pen performance?..>>

...They can, especially if they use anti-reflection coatings that have metallic content. With regard to the SP2, the Incipio screen protector works well (it's clear / no anti-reflection properties) as do some of the Photodon films (varying degrees of anti-reflection properties). There are various threads in the forums that discuss screen protectors. Spend some time searching and reading; here is one to get you started:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/the-best-screen-protector.21750/

Kendra likes this.
  9. milowerx

milowerx Pen Pal - Newbie

Kendra likes this.
  10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hilarious pencil test @milowerx!

For what it's worth the SP3 and N-Trig ain't so bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milowerx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.