Surface Pro 2 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Interested in a i5 8GB/512GB model with type cover, battery cover, dock, and two power supplies? It has one life left on MS Complete. :) Just kidding, I'd first need to see something that I like better than the SP2. Powerful, lightweight, 7+ hrs, Wacom, hinge - there, I said it! Wait, I think I just described the ThinkPad Yoga. :eek:

2. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sure I would be interested. My old truck died today and I had to buy another newer used truck. But I am looking for a powerful and portable digital painting tablet. I have the Cintiq Companion now but it is a bit large to consider really portable. So I am still looking. What does one life left mean? Is MS complete and insurance policy? Don't worry...I know you are not really serious in making a real sales pitch there.

3. JoeS

Exactly, not really serious at the moment, but with the trend of newer tablets and convertibles having less powerful processors rather than more powerful, I'm beginning to steal glances at the ole' TP Yoga. The 'one life left' comment referred to the fact that I have MS Complete on it, which grants two replacement on accidental damage, out of which I used one. I think this is transferable, so if I ever do get rid of it, I think that would be a selling point.

4. michaelws

Hopefully that trend will be "bucked" by some companies...there is a market for artists...not large but still there.

Accidental damage policies are valuable. I had to take advantage of one with Square Trade. They covered me one hundred percent.

5. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

That's why I finally decided to buy me a Pro 2. (I'd have loved the Pro 3, but I just cannot justify the double price tag on it...) So when I saw it on sale somewhere (the 8/256 one) I just had to get it (I really wanted that 8Gb...)

6. JoeS

Agreed, the question is who. Vaio is one, but prototype only so far. I'm pinning my hopes on the next 12.5" TP Yoga, if it ever comes out with digitizer. At least the new TP Yoga 14 (no digitizer) doesn't have a Core-M, so there's some hope.

Exactly, right now it still is a great buy, some would even argue that it's not worth upgrading to an SP3. :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  7. michaelws

I just picked up the SP2 on eBay. Good price and seller has excellent ratings with substantial sales. Also picked up the Square Trade 2 year coverage for it. Doesn't have the pen but I have 2 Axiotron pens and an old fujitsu t5010 stylus...and can order the SP2 pen if those don't work.

If this works out to have been a good purchase then I will consider selling my new ASUS Vivotab Note 8. I loved the little ASUS but the 2gb ram can't compare to the 8gb ram on the SP2.

My fingers are crossed on this purchase. Also awaiting the arrival of my Wacom Creative Stylus 2 and the upgrade in the art program Procreate for compatibility. If that is a disappointment then I will probably be selling iPad Air also.

I just had to take a chance on the SP2 after hearing that they are no longer selling it. The only ones I could find were the 64 gb models...and they don't have the 8gb ram.

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

To be honest, I didn't expect any more firmware updates for the Pro 2 at all, but am very glad to see the Microsoft-provided GPU drivers were drastically updated from what they were giving before (from v10.18.10.3496 to v10.18.14.4029). Still behind what Intel provides, but still a huge improvement.

9. JoeS

So if you're still interested, you can get a pretty good deal right now: Surface Pro 2, core i5, 8GB/512GB with blue (cyan?) type cover, brand new, from NewEgg on eBay for $800.

Edit so 16 months after release and what, 14 months after I bought it, this model has dropped to $800 brand new, meaning I'd be lucky to sell if for $600 used. So basically I've been renting this thing for about $100/mo. Ugh. Nice technology, but not a great investment!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  10. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.