Surface Pro 2 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Looks like the professional grade Pro 2 tablets Microsoft is giving the NFL have the same problems some of the rest of us have had in the past... ;)

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick on benefit of mobile tablets - ESPN

Mesosphere likes this.
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

And then imagine the difference in PR impact. Maybe something will happen now.

3. kevlee

kevlee Pen Pal - Newbie

after 4 month, 52 charge cycle, my SP2 only hold 65.9% max charge (27660), why is it dying so fast ._.

4. javispedro

javispedro Pen Pal - Newbie

I have around 76 cycles (5 months) and mine holds 38500mWh. I guess that once it reaches 50% in less than a year you can try using the warranty....

So my TypeCover2 just died. I was using my SFPro2 in tablet mode when I realized the cover was stuck with the backlight on (even when flipped behind the tablet). I switched to laptop mode, tried writing on it, and nothing. Not a Windows problem since it also happens on Linux and the UEFI setup program.

My TouchCover1 still works, so at least I know it's not the Surface.

Probably a broken flex data connection. It seems it is as fragile as it looks...

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...my SP2 only hold 65.9% max charge (27660), why is it dying so fast...>>

...Of course, it could be a defective battery; such things are not unknown.

Have you tried cycling the battery by running it down to about 10% and then fully charging it? Try doing that two or three times and see if the battery behavior improves...

6. kevlee

kevlee Pen Pal - Newbie

yep, hard reboot, deep cycle and still ~27,500 mWh, will MS replace it?
    i imported this from overseas, i need to be certain before sending it to the US ... (living in the part of the world that doesn't sell SP)

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...i need to be certain before sending it to the US...>>

...In that case, it might be best to call Surface Tech Support first. A PIA, for sure, but better than just shipping it with a roll of the dice...

8. yuriylsh

yuriylsh Pen Pal - Newbie

No firmware updates this months :(

9. minnus

minnus Pen Pal - Newbie

I wouldn't 'lie' about software issues. If you're interacting directly with Microsoft, just reason that you are concerned about the longevity of the device that you paid so much for. While it might not be a huge problem now, it may develop into a serious one later.

I had something similar to my SP1 - a corner had 'loose' glass such that it shifted whenever I held it. It made a grinding noise and was quite annoying.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Has anyone found a way to force the SP2 to prevent the power cover from running down to zero while the slate still has battery?

It's like this thing is optimized for max battery wear! Ideally: I'd like the power cover to first discharge to 10%, then run the slate battery down to 10%, and only then use the power cover again. Is something like this possible?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.