Surface Pro 2 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes Scribbler - Standard Member

1- Try disabling Bluetooth. But it could be the server that you are accessing that is slow.

2- Don't use Chrome if you like battery life. Chrome eats battery. In order to be really fast it's careless in power efficiency. It also doesn't support things that even IE support since a while, such as color profile pictures. Also, as per license agreement, it states that Chrome will be tracking you, even in private mode, to build a profile on Google side about you, and target ads. You also give them to right to sale that information. As soon as you login on a Google account, that account will be link with your profile. So Google knows your name, what you life or not like, and so on.
    I would suggest a web browser that is better, and doesn't track you as it's supported by donations: Mozilla Firefox.

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well...

We now have 3 Surface Pro 2 devices with a few more probably appearing before long
    1x 256GB
    1x 128GB
    1x 512GB (Mine)

Fingers crossed that it's the 4300u version.

3. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the hint. I have had Chrome ever since Firefox started to really slow down. Did they improve?

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I have had Chrome ever since Firefox started to really slow down. Did they improve?..>>

If you haven't tried IE lately, I'd suggest that you revisit it and give it a spin. The current version works very nicely and is (IMO) noticeably faster. Easy on the battery, too...

5. GoodBytes

They have. Same for memory management. Chrome is still faster, but I find Firefox not far behind. I personally use Firefox Aurora (alpha) to enjoy Australis layout, which is a bit better for touch, with teh main menu button being on the right. So if you have Firefox maximized, you can tab the menu button with your thumb, and have large menu items to select what you want. And the menu is customizable.

The Firefox menu is now this:
    [​IMG]

Sadly the tabs close button is still a pain to tap on, as the button is too small for touch when using the Surface Pro 2 at 100% DPI.

The Bookmark button, is also like the menu item, so you have easier time to navigate. Tap the bookmark button, a similar mini panel shows up in list view of web sites bookmarked, tab, and the menu disappears and goes to the page.

For the best touch experience, IE11 is sadly the best. Mozilla was working on one, but decided to drop it, due to low users using it, failing to understand that the reason why few used it, as it was buried, no mention of it anywhere, you really had to go page 2-3 of Google search to find it, and even then, pass through other sites talking about it.

And beside all this, it was not enabled by defaults, or any mention of this, is was extremely buggy, crashed a lot, didn't have smooth scrolling. the GUI was difficult to use, not responsive, no plugging support, no add-on support and not high DPI aware. The only thing they got right, was the smooth zooming. Strangely enough the desktop version is the exact opposite, where everything runs well as you expect, however no smooth zooming. Oh and it was not working on Windows RT. So anyway, Mozilla is retarded, but what can you do.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  6. falconxp

falconxp Pen Pal - Newbie

Latest beta of firefox (v29) also includes Australis layout. More stable and more plugins work with this version then the Aurora alpha.

7. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Guys, back to firmware stuff, has anyone updated the firmware release from march 20? Whats changed exactly? Any complications?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  8. Willy330ci

Willy330ci Pen Pal - Newbie

I guess March FW was a purely GFX Driver Update from Intel, Finally I can adjust/disable Intel screen power savings technology which caused casual dimming when you view dark websites or whatnot, I did not run any benchs though, but the Intel control center (GFX) is all over the place, from your very RIGHT CLICK MENUS to System Tray.

Wish to completely end those useless processes, and speed up the Right Click Menu once again as it was before the update.

I remember a regedit from the ol' days of Vaio Z thread, that when deleted, the GFX items in Right click menus are gone, and it shows fast. But of course that woul dnot work on the SP2.

Any guy with RegEdit skills can offer help?

9. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

thanks for the heads up. downloaded and it all went smooth.

now about the context menu thingy, take it easy man. regedit skills?

no dude, just download shellexview. run it, search for intel entries and disable them. restart. your set.

10. GoodBytes

- Here is how to remove it (from Intel): Graphics &mdash; Removing the right-click desktop menu
    - To remove the tray icon / notification area icon, the option in the panel does not work (it gets forgotten after reboot). What you need to do to open the Service panel, and set to manual all Intel services. They are 3 of them. And restart the computer.

Intel Control Panel is always available from the Control Panel.

Willy330ci likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.