Surface Pro 2 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I'm not too sure if 64gb is enough space...>>

jb: You're talking to a group that thinks that more is always better! However, I will risk the disapproval of the group and say that 64 GB should be adequate, with the qualification that offloading some files onto a 32 GB or 64 GB microSD can go a long way towards avoiding congestion on your SSD. If I recall correctly, the standard installed footprint of Windows 8 / 8.1 plus Office 365 and a few random applications is about 20 GB, more or less. That will leave you about 40 GB initially free; as you store more apps and data on the SSD, you want to always maintain about 15% free space (less than this and your SSD starts to slow down significantly). So that's why a moderately sized microSD card is a good thing to have available.

Note that e-books and music (especially music) can become quite space-consuming over time, so I'd keep an eye on the size of those files.

Good luck...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. bc195902

bc195902 Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope, in a new system without office, you only have less than 25 GB free on the 64 GB model.

TegraNote-P1640 Tapatalk

3. Dayton

Dayton Scribbler - Standard Member

The high cpu useage after wake with a mounted microSD card really makes the 64 GB hard to recommend or view as anything but a bad idea.

be77solo likes this.
  4. ColoKaren

ColoKaren Pen Pal - Newbie

Any new word on when we should start camping out (online) for the power cover? My (still) beloved Surface Pro needs the battery boost something fierce before summer school!

5. javispedro

javispedro Pen Pal - Newbie

Why do you blame Intel here? It is MS that put a set of requirements for Connected Standby. Si0x work just fine on Haswell, and in any case S0ix is not even required for connected standby! (see Windows RT). And it also MS who designed the SFPro and chose its components.

That TR which explains how to implement conn standby on Android, where it basically replaces S3 with a combination of software mandated power saving (ie freezing processes) and low enough hardware/CPU idle power usage (ie the S0ix states).

6. javispedro

By the way,. If you (like me) are in Europe and waiting for a 256 SFPro2, FNAC France has just updated their estimates from "no idea when we'll get stock" to "4 to 12 days". Whether they have some information from MS or are lying through their teeth is up to you :)

EDIT stock available for 256gb model on both France and Germany online MS store. Waiting for some to trickle down to Spain....

EDIT2 And it's gone, ~1 hour afterwards. Either it was a mistake or they only had 1 or 2 units in stock, cause I won't believe there's such a huge demand.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In all honesty for what you've described 64GB should be enough especially as you, if you want to do so, could disable hibernation,turn off the virtual memory and system restore to grab back a whole load of space. That, however, is not for everyone but that's how I run and I experience zero issues (Obviously create a backup ever so often just in case). You can also MOVE the recovery partition to a thumb drive.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Intel builds the drivers/firmware, RT supports S0iX (its just a Power State), Microsoft refers to it as Connected Standby in Technical Documentation and InstaGo in Consumer Advertising. Intel had a competing implementation called AOAC but never gained much traction with it. It is combination of Hardware and Software.

10. javispedro

Intel builds GPU drivers, though MS builds "processor ones" (ie whatever code transitions between processor states in the Windows HAL), and also builds the firmware! (most of GNU/Linux ACPI problems appear when MS's tools are used to build the ACPI tables instead of the much more sane Intel toolset).
    S0ix being an Intel "invention", ARM/Windows RT does not support it (even if the latter supports "connected standby").
    And Connected Standby is an MS name for the simple concept of ensuring via software that the processor is mostly left idle rather than suspending (which would be "unconnected standby"). There's not that much additional magic involved. Apart from the TR I linked earlier, I base my knowledge on the following sources:
    - Supporting connected standby [LWN.net]
    - https://intel.activeevents.com/sf13...52F34733A096F2536F1CA54E/SF13_ULBS004_101.pdf

Disclaimer: No MS hating is involved -- I am waiting for a SFPro2. But I do believe that not supporting connected standby is a political move in order to either promote the RT surface or make space for OEMs to introduce their "more tablet-like yet run Intel" products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.