Surface Pro 2 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

...a Smarty Ring? Dear lord, I think I'm getting too old for all this nonsense... Stop the world, I want to get off.

2. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

LOL! Yep. It's pretty sweet and is a better fit for my lifestyle than smart watch would be. I'm just gonna wear it in place of my wedding ring :D

http://smartyring.com

Sent from my GS4

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Eeeeewwwww, that looks so "iPhoney"

Saavik: [speaking to Spock in Vulcan] He's never what I expect, sir.
    Spock: What surprises you, Lieutenant?
    Saavik: He's so - iPhoney.
    Spock: Nobody's perfect, Saavik.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    Bronsky likes this.
  4. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

LOL!!! Oh whatever, you're just jealous :cool:

Sent from my GS4

5. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Lol, first I've seen of the smarty ring... at least it's waterproof. You can't actually read a text or make a call can you?

As for dock, that's a fantastic price, and would jump all over it. I love mine, works great, much better than I thought it would. Plus, it includes a power supply so frees up the one that came with the Surface Pro.

6. minnus

minnus Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for posting the deal and causing internal strife! ;)-

7. dstrauss

No strife at all:

animal-house-decisions.jpg

8. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm having trouble keeping up... ;)

Convertible Tablet Review: Did He REALLY Delete That Post?

So you went back to SP2, raved about how great it was, decided to move onto Aspire and then deleted the post about how great the SP2 was?

Just curious if I'm up to speed. What is pulling you back into SP2-land?

9. dstrauss

Wow, someone who actually reads my lunacy? You too will soon have your sanity questioned if you do that.

To say I am bipolar is an understatement, because both setups tug at my computing soul:

One Device Solution: This I believe is my preferred solution. All of my "stuff" on one device, always there, ready for taking notes or grinding out 100 page contracts. I've tried a LOT of such devices (HP 2740p; Samsung Series 7 Slate; Samsung ATIV 500; ThinkPad Yoga; Dell XPS 12; SPro; SPro 2 ). Of all of these, the SPro 2 wins hands down for size, speed, design, and Wacom accuracy. Several problems, however: (1) tiny screen fonts, especially on the desktop; (2) often limited SSD size, except for outrageously expensive models; (3) inconvenience of grab-n-go, with need to put in sleep, unbuckle, use, buckle up, wake, and usually reset external monitors, etc.

Companion Devices: I started this quest with a desktop and an HP Sate 500 years ago, and have tried ThinkPad Tablet 2, iPad Air, iPad Mini, Dell Venue 8 Pro, all with various laptops, most recently the Acer Aspire V7. The big "wins" here are the gorgeous 15.6" screen on the Acer; the ability to grab and go with the companion device while the big iron (and my two 27" WQHD monitors stay intact). There are problems here as well: (1) NO companion device I've tried has been adequate for full time use by itself; (2) I was always dragging both devices home at night because of #1 and the fact what I needed was often on one device and not the other (a six pound combo); (3) OneNote syncing between the companion and Acer was often hit or miss; and (4) I'd often open a note on the companion, and want to "type something in" or save something from my desktop unit to the OneNote on my companion....

So, I waffle back and forth like a politician in front of a camera. Overall, I prefer the SPro 2 all in one approach, but for that tiny screen. In all honesty, it's not Microsoft's fault, because it too is a gorgeous screen - no, I take that back - it would be acceptable and usable IF Microsoft would fix and mandate desktop scaling. In fact, the driving force behind going back to the Acer plus companion was the last SPro 2 displayport and battery drain problems. Microsoft graciously accepted return of that unit, but they gently pressed me to give it another try because they were convinced it was hardware and not drivers, so the "waffle" back to SPro 2.

So why did I delete the first SPro 2 post from my blog? I felt the SPro 2 had let me down, and my eyes just couldn't do long stretches with that tiny screen. Assuming (you know what that means) this next one performs like it should, then I will start working on the decision of what external monitor to use at home with the SPro 2. I often use the tablet as a laptop while couch surfing, so maybe the answer is the sharpest resolution "small" monitor I can find (16"-20") on the coffee table? Or, move one of the WQHD's to my home office and call it a day.

Or maybe I should just get one of these and call it quits:

IBM-AT.jpg

10. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Guys, sorry to steer from your ringy conversation but back to surface pro issues:

It's been a while Im seeing this ERROR in the event viewer. Error 17, BTHUSB (The local bluetooth adapter has failed in an undertermined manner and will not be used. The driver has been unloaded). That happens every time it wakes up from hibernation. Even if I disable the bluetooth under network options, still happens.

Any idea what that might be? Does it happen do you too? Fixes?

I dont remember if this happened before firmware updates though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.