Surface Pro 2 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep, but I have to use my display at close to 100% brightness based on my lighting and after comparing the SP1 and SP2 side by side I am only getting about 1 hour more out of the SP2. Most users can get by using 50% or less brightness and power save mode which will probably show a significant increase over the SP1.

2. isomax89

isomax89 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,
    I have a problem with my SP2
    My Windows Touch button make vibrate the SP2.
    How Can I disable the vibration?
    This is very annoying !!:mad:

Thank you and I apologise for my English

3. Old Fogey

Old Fogey Pen Pal - Newbie

This is the approach I've taken ... this will be my first tablet, bought specifically for the handwriting ... I figure it is a relatively low-risk entry to get some experience, with a view to getting an SP3 or whatever if I actually use the thing as I fondly hope. I don't have the IT/techo skills to sort many of the things the first adopters derive great joy from wrestling with when they get the first of a new model, so I often favour buying the last of a "just replaced" model on the thought that it's a little easier (way down here in the South Pacific there is not the depth of knowledgeable folks I could go to for help). There is a huge load of experience to be gained from keeping up with threads like this ... and besides, I bought Surface for Dummies and OneNote for Dummies for my Kindle ....

I can't tell you yet what my experience has been, as it takes time to get the gear from the US down here ... latest shipping advice has my US-purchased SP! arriving some time this week. I will say though that I expect to be able to live with the battery life of the SP1, which troubles some .... my own long flights usually involve 12-hour sectors ... on which a couple of hours work is fine, then I catch zzz's ... and if I need extra ergs, there is in-seat power anyhow.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

My Surface Pro 2 gave me a bit of a scare with battery life. Looks like it resolved itself, but if it comes back this could be trouble. The symptoms were exactly as in this thread on sevenforums.com: Fresh win 7 install on netbook 30% proc usage on System Interrupts. - Windows 7 Help Forums

Symptom: the CPU keeps running at 25-30% 'forever', in the task manager it shows as 'System', and going to the resource monitor you'll see that this is labeled as "Deferred Procedure Calls and Interrupt Service Routines". Trying to find out what's behind that requires utilities that are not included in Windows, so I'd say 'advanced troubleshooting'. Some of the causes found online in older occurrences of this were bad drivers, bur finding which one is to blame seems tricky.

The result was that battery bar promised me 3h of battery life.. Not too great! Thankfully it resolved itself, and now the main battery drain is the search indexer that's working its way through 200GB of stuff that I loaded, so I can't blame it for spending some power on that. Hopefully the DPC's and interrupts don't show up again!

In other news, Chrome is a DOG on high DPI touch screens, with or without the high DPI flag enabled. Ugh. It's not for lack of user feedback either.

Mesosphere likes this.
  5. MikeOx

MikeOx Scribbler - Standard Member

So the SP2 is the device for me power wise, but I finally gave it a try at BestBuy and I can't believe what I read from here is actually true about it being a bit heavy, to be honest for a tablet is it way past heavy, I honestly can't think of anyone being able to use this as a tablet for longer than 5 minutes. Huge deal breaker for me, guess I'll have to keep on waiting once more since the DV11P isn't that cheap compared to the SP2. Hopefully CES 2014 brings great news.

6. DragonGamer

DragonGamer Pen Pal - Newbie

You will have to wait a few years yet to get a device with the computing power and sturdyness/build quality of the Surface Pro 2 which is significantly lighter...
    If you don't need that power nor a high-end case or a digitizer then you can already go for an Atom-BayTrail device...

be77solo and JoeS like this.
  7. impactblue

impactblue Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone know if MS or a third party will be making Samsung Ativ Tab 7/Dell Venue 11 Pro clam shell keyboards for the Surface? I do a lot of word processing on the train and would be a huge plus for me...

8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Well millions have managed to do this =)

It is certainly heavier than ARM/Atom tablets, but 'past heavy' and '5 minutes' seems a bit much considering its only half a pound more than earlier generation iPads. Obviously all else equal lighter is better. But all else isn't equal, and if you need what Surface Pro offers over a lighter Atom/Arm tablet the weight is a small price to pay. I spent close to a decade using 4lb tablets, so for me 2lb was a dream. A lighter tablet wasn't even on the table for what I needed.

Bay Trail has changed things for my use since I remotely connect to servers to do my heavy work, but for someone who wants/needs iCore power, it is worth the cost in weight.

dstrauss, Bronsky, JoeS and 1 other person like this.
  9. Nippero

Nippero Pen Pal - Newbie

beyonce-do-you-even-lift-bro.jpg

I've had to use my T410 by balancing it on one arm and typing with the other, so for me this is a huge improvement lmao.

10. Dayton

Dayton Scribbler - Standard Member

You'll have to go Atom or Arm, but of course then you lose significant power which will really hurt x86 performance. The reason MS has gone with Arm for their Surface tablet and Intel for their Surface PC, really don't want netbook performance. When not working my SP2 lives without the keyboard and just the pen, very sleek in my opinion considering this is a full blown PC. Took out my X1CT the other day and it felt like a dinosaur now and it is a year old 13" touch ultrabook.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.