Surface Pro 2 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

To everyone: Thank you so much for such prompt, responsive and highly thoughtful inputs!!! I should say I'm not surprised because this is what makes this blog the best on any tech subject, bar none. Still, I'm am always a bit bowled over. :) :) :)

Much food for thought. Though I appreciate the comment that if I have reservations and am always looking at other devices I will likely end up finding fault with the SP2 as I did with the SP1. That said, I am in a different place now. It's 11 mos. later. The SP2 seems to have addressed all the most important shortcomings of the 1 and, well, I really wanted to love ti the first time around, but comparatively or in its own right it just did fail in a few key areas. I'm thinking I will buy and try to make it my one and only as often as possible for 30 days and see how it goes. Two keys for me will be: will it feel like a bulky/heavy choice over the Note 8 for quick email/news checks and, will I gravitate to a laptop sitting right there when I need to do a bit of writing - not a large amount, just blogs like this, email responses. I'm excited about it; I'm going to stack the deck towards the SP2 as much as possible. :D

As ever, knowing this forum is here, my sense of risk of purchase is nearly nil. Again, many thanks. Hope to contribute as well as make requests going forward.

Last question: are most of you thumbs up on the 3 yr. ADH wtty upgrade?

Best,
    Jeff (Sorry, but my "LL" handle has been my "brand" on TPCR and NBR for 4 years and I can't part with it, dumb a handle as it is!)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  2. Nippero

Nippero Pen Pal - Newbie

Out of curiosity, what do you notice thats different about the display?
    I cant find any real mention/comparison of it in reviews. Although I did hear MS themselves mention they tweaked it to be more color accurate I think.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

internalaudit likes this.
  4. internalaudit

internalaudit Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone know if Microsoft will put an IGZO or similar screen on future products? It seems that will boost battery life even more. :)

IGZO

5. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

It is the color accuracy. I have tested with both side by side viewing content and it is evident that the more accurate colors make a difference. The brightness is pretty much the same. A professional photographer would probably notice the difference immediately, but for most users it would not be a deal breaker. My biggest complaint is that I am not seeing a big enough boost in battery over my SP1. That is my only dilemma in trying to decide to send my SP2 back. For a new customer I would highly recommend the SP2. Since I just purchased a 256GB SP1 in September it is becoming a much harder decision of which one to keep.

6. internalaudit

internalaudit Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you updated your SP2 to get 25% more battery life?

7. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Doesn't it do that automatically through Windows update?

Sent from my GS4

8. DragonGamer

DragonGamer Pen Pal - Newbie

You could calibrate the screen of the SP1!
    According to what I've read the SP2 screen isn't really much better but just already calibrated properly from the package.

demandarin likes this.
  9. Nippero

Nippero Pen Pal - Newbie

Hm yea that is what it sounds like, that the screen has been better calibrated.

Thats good to hear.

I still need to calibrate my two monitors.. Both IPS screens, but different manufacturers. Next to each other one looks super cool and the other looks super warm. I wonder how my SP2 will look next to those two lol =.=

10. demandarin

demandarin Scribbler - Standard Member

The thing is, as far as display, the pro 2 came from factory with a better calibration for color. that's all really. Surface pro one display is very capable of being better. even on Anandtech first surface pro review he revealed that. he said the pro display was good but could be a lot better. remember, this is a full blown pc so calibration tools and software for color can be used to increase the pro1 display. this is exactly what he did with the pro1 and the display turned out to be way more accurate after calibrating.

even with my pro, I came across someone here that has the calibration tools and software. he calibrated his pro. he was nice enough to let me use his color profile to install. my pro, in my opinion, is a lot better now. it was good before, but after installing new color calibration profile as default, ive definitely noticed the difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.