Surface Pro 2 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

Must have been something wrong with the Touch 2 Cover at the Microsoft store I was at then.

Maybe I wasn't pressing hard enough?

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

The Touch Cover 1 and 2 are both full multi-touch supporting gestures in Touch 2.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Must have been something wrong with the Touch 2 Cover at the Microsoft store I was at then...>>

...It happens. I was at my local Best Buy this past Saturday, and while I was waiting for my wife (she was looking at the new Kindle Fire HD), I started toying with a Surface 2 on display. The Touch Cover 2 was clearly broken; although it was securely connected, and after a restart, the keyboard remained completely unresponsive. It looked a bit beat-up, too, so perhaps that was significant.

So yes, hardware failures can occur...

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, after 1 year of nearly full time attachment (usually folding it back instead of detaching) my Touch Cover 1 becomes unresponsive very frequently (it is almost unusable). I used it first from launch day of the RT and then continuing with the same cover on my SP1. I took little to no attempt to be careful with it, but still I would have liked it to last longer for the price; however, sometimes it is just luck of the draw, and it seems I've heard relatively few reports of similar things happening.

5. Nippero

Nippero Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey there, could you share more of your experience with your SP2? Mainly in relation to storage and RAM space.
    So far I've been dead set on getting 256GB w/ 8GB RAM, but with my laptop dying, me being impatient, and stock of the 256gb being hard to find, I might reconsider.

My current Thinkpad T410 has a 120GB SSD (actually only 80GB available to windows, 40GB is a ubuntu partition) with 6GB of RAM. So I'm thinking I might be fine with the 128GB SP2, even though it may not be as "future-proof"

I dont plan on playing serious games on my Surface, so thats not really an issue.
    Only issue I guess is my use of VMs... hm.

6. MikeOx

MikeOx Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you guys think the Microsoft store online will re-stock sometime before 2014? Physical stores are not option for me since there aren't any nearby and nor is Best Buy because I would like to use the edu discount but I think it's only available before 12/31/2014.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Do you guys think the Microsoft store online will re-stock sometime before 2014?..>>

...I would assume that Microsoft is making every effort to get back into the stores as soon as possible, and certainly before 2014. I can't imagine that they would not try to hit the Christmas buying season this time around...!

MikeOx likes this.
  8. Dayton

Dayton Scribbler - Standard Member

With the 256/8 SP2 I have 196 GB available of 232 GB, installed Office 365 and Photoshop CS3 but that is about it. If you don't plan to install much you can probably get away with 128 GB but I am happy I went with the 256/8 as it has become my go to device.

Nippero likes this.
  9. Nippero

Nippero Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmmmm, thanks for sharing your experience.

I would likely use the SP2 more than my current laptop since it functions well as a tablet.
    But at the same time, I still wouldn't install massive programs like games since no laptop will ever replace my desktop for that.

I also just realized that until September 2012, I was my desktop had only 4GB of DDR2. Soo yea maybe I'm overestimating my needs.

Gonna pay more attention to how much ram my VMs use/require and decide from there. I dont think anything else I do would eat up a lot of RAM.

I haven't been able to find a good source on how much RAM 8.1 uses when idle/after reboot. Could anyone shed some light for me there? (I'm seeing most posts pointing to 1GB of RAM for just Windows)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  10. Dayton

Dayton Scribbler - Standard Member

I did have the original Yoga 13 with 4/128 configuration and it was a bit pokey when it came to large network files, not sure however if it was memory or lack of 5 GHz WiFi.

About the Touch 2, I think it is an amazing piece of design / engineering. There is a reason multiple makers are coming out with their version for their mobile devices. That said, for me the Type 2 is far more practical and is my default keyboard. I find the Touch 2 tiring, my hands often drift which leads to retyping and the amount of pressure needed for a good strike is much stronger than what I am use to. But I have yet to return my Touch 2 as again I do think it is a brilliant device.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.