Surface Pro 2 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've been trying to use the Touch Cover 2 for a while to see if I could get fully adjusted to it (if you'll recall, I was never quite able to adjust to the Touch Cover 1). I'm still not nearly as accurate on it as I am on a real keyboard ( or on the Type Cover 2), but it's drastically improved. The auto-correct working with it helps a ton with accuracy, and I find that it's able to keep up with my speed a ton more than the original Touch Cover 1 was. I still have a problem with my fingers drifting away from the right buttons after a while, and I think slightly more defined touch areas for each letter would help there, but I'm starting to feel like the Touch Cover 2 is good enough for a large percentage of people (something I wouldn't have said about the original). I still prefer the Type Cover 2 in general, but I actually like the Touch 2 now (I quickly grew to hate the Touch 1).

I recently purchased The Typing of the Dead (remake) on Steam, and I'm actually able to get around 88% accuracy in that (and obviously the game doesn't use auto-correct). That pales in comparison to the 99% I get with a real keyboard or the Type Cover (2), but it's a huge improvement from the accuracy with the original model.

That being said, the Touch Cover, like always, works much better if you have an even surface underneath it. The accuracy there still drops if I use it on my lap, for example (especially for letters on the edges).

2. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

This is something I still haven't decided on in my virtual SP2 purchase. To type or not to type. I like how flat the touch cover is, but I think I'd need real keys for decent accuracy. Or maybe I should do what all TPCR users seem to do these days: buy both, and return whatever I don't like.

3. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

As nice as the new Touch Cover 2 is, it's still not a real keyboard, it still works like a touchscreen keyboard, meaning you can't do consecutive hold keys like holding Shift and typing other keys like for instance typing something like 1:"C:\file.txt" is much much slower on the Touch Cover because instead of holding Shift key and pressing the keys to get the shifted version of the key, it's a one time toggle, so you'd have to press Shift every time before Each key press, rather than just holding the Shift key the entire time.

Doesn't effect 95% of the people out there, but it a huge deal for anyone doing anything remotely coding or command line related.

4. JoeS

Wow, I didn't realize that, so no multitouch on the touch cover? That's good to know.

Edit: so this turns out not to be true. Still I'm leaning toward the type cover if MS ever starts shipping the 512GB SP2 again.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yes there is.

6. JoeS

Well that's also good to know! :confused:

7. Nippero

Nippero Pen Pal - Newbie

Whoa wait so is this definitely confirmed? I would think multitouch = you can do shift + key.

If you cant, then I'm definitely going with a Type Cover since I do a lot of programming and work from terminals.

8. rpo

rpo Scribbler - Standard Member

I am not sure where you got your info, but this is absolutely not true. I can type an entire word in capital letters by continuously holding down the shift key with my pinky while hitting the other keys. The same goes for the on screen keyboard.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

9. kaze0

kaze0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I can't even think of the last touch screen keyboard that didn't allow this either.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

10. kaze0

kaze0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Unless they changed that from the original touch cover, its not the case.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.