Surface Neo Pre-release Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm surprised Joe, you don't read comics? ;)

I'm not kidding when I say, I might just get the Neo solely to re-experience my digital comics collection the way they were meant to be read.

Modern comics will often make use of the two-page spread to guide the flow of story and action in visually exciting ways:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And no, simply shrinking 50% to fit two pages on a single screen isn't the same, because the text becomes difficult to read, the scaled-down artwork fails capture the original impact of the composition. (Not to mention adjusting zoom-levels/reorienting the page really breaks the flow of reading.)

For this reason alone, the Neo is the ultimate comic reader imo! :newpalm:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'll admit, I forgot that scenario. That's a perfect use for it. :thumbsup:

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. daddyfish

daddyfish Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the keyboard design is brilliant and definitely hope OEMs will bring variants on the Neo. Eg Acer for a poor mans version of the Neo like they did with the Pro, so I can buy one as a secondary device :D.
    Also I will give MS bonus flavor points if they let Neo in the new Matrix movies use the Surface Neo.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you used ComiXology on an iPad Pro? No, it doesn’t fold, but for a pure reading experience the 11” is really good while the 12.9” is just fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillAdams likes this.
  6. Marty

I've used Comixology on Android and it's a little bulky for my tastes. I prefer using 'pure' readers like ComicTrim (which can also do a dynamic panel-by-panel view) rather than an all-in-one store & viewer.

However, that is all beside the point because (as I wrote earlier) reading on a slate isn't the same as reading immersed in two-page view, like a real comic:

[​IMG]

That is how I want to hold it!

And on the Neo, I wouldn't need to use any special app, just enjoy a pure 1:1 view of the artwork and pages. :thumbsup:

dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It would be good for Gutenberg scholars as well...:confused:o_O

nnthemperor, Marty and Bronsky like this.
  8. Marty

Ok, having written a bunch of posts on this thread, I now find myself hyped for this device—and totally bummed out I have wait more than a year to get my hands on this thing!

I know, I know. They need time for developers to flesh out the software, but anybody else wish they pulled on Apple on stage?

"And behind-the-scenes, we've had all the top developers working hard to bring you the best apps working great on the device..."

Then cue the obedient train of lemmings: Adobe, Affinity, Corel, Autodesk... to offer up software to the divine platform. :D

I mean wouldn't Christmas season be perfect time to launch the Neo? "As a capstone an otherwise boring tech year, MS brings true innovation..."

9. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

I absolutely love the idea of the Neo and think it may be the way forward. Why not give people more options for their laptop? And how did they not get Keanu Reeves to be in the commercial for this?

Still, its current form factor may have some issues finding its niche:

1. It competes with 10 inch laptops (netbooks for example). But who wants a 10 inch laptop anyway? A 10 inch laptop is good for a pretty small segment of the population (adults who are legitimately very small where their strength/arm size is a real issue but still want to use a full laptop). But for the vast majority of people, a 12-13 inch laptop is no problem at all to hold or carry. Heck, even the gigantic LG gram 17 laptop is no problem at all for the vast majority of people to carry.

2. The neo competes sort of with 10 inch tablets and maybe even 12 inch tablets. But it's still more unwieldy to hold than either of them and it is questionable whether two divided 9 inch screens is better for leisure than say the ipad pro 11 screen, which is gorgeous and high refresh rate.

3. You could argue the neo almost competes with 12 inch ultrabooks, but I think at a 9 inch screen it doesn't quite do so.

4. Does it really compete with say the 12 inch ipad or ipad pro 11? It does in a sense of giving a "small notebook" feeling of holding it because of its dimensions but that's it.

Still, a two screen yoga style device with magnetic keyboard + pen is engineering and design beauty. What if the Surface Neo succeeds and this just becomes a common laptop form factor for say even 13 inch laptops? What disadvantage does this have? Price and battery life I guess. But those can eventually be overcome.

Actually those two things are pretty big barriers, and I don't think this form factor will catch on until price drops and battery life have advanced massively. A college student would probably just grab either a macbook air, a gaming laptop, or a mainstream laptop.

The surface neo accomplishes the tasks of
    1) Attempting to create a new product category
    2) Make Microsoft seem aspirational / leading innovation / exploring new things
    3) It can give you a certain "I'm just carrying a moleskin medium sized notebook" feeling except its actually a full device on steroids (though it will probably have so-so battery life at best which is a pretty nasty strike against it, given its size/"mobile" nature)
    4) It's new tech, it can be sort of a status symbol for a rich person .. and a point of conversation

"Why did you stick your two ipads together, I didn't know apple did that now."

"I've explained this a few times now, Mom. Do you see this giant windows symbol on the back?"

The issue is that I don't really have an urge to hold a book or get a 9 inch screen laptop. It's folding does almost nothing for me- I can't put in my pocket. If I had a large purse, maybe this would be a bigger deal though. But they still need to make this device the way it is in order to push the form factor to make way for new devices. We finally got a yoga surface but it's 9 inches. A 13 inch surface yoga might have been more useable as a laptop but in order for them to even push the tech on this, I guess they had to make a 9 inch one first so they can learn how this dual 9 inch screen form factor works/how is it used when held / what software it needs /etc. A 13 inch dual screen yoga surface neo would be too heavy for them to experiment with/learn how to get this form factor right because people would just never hold it with their two hands like a tablet.

Do people want to buy a book that is a full windows machine? Not yet, but it's still beautiful. Fight me if you legit think this form factor is good for your work flow / play flow.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Kumabjorn likes this.
  10. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Is there any situation aside from reading a book where you would prefer two 9 inch screens over say the 11 inch screen the ipad pro?

Maybe reading a book? Or a comic? Even then it is debatable.

There needs to be some really compelling apps to prove to people that 2 small screens can compete with one slightly bigger one.
    Unfortunately, windows devices are not known for having alot of great apps.

Little Timmy: "You sunk my battleship, A-hole!"
    Me: Thank god I got a surface Neo so we can play battleship.

I guess you can also play card games on it with a friend, with each screen having each person's cards (pokemon, magic, yugioh, poker, etc)

Maybe it could help to feed some leisurely multitasking (reddit on one screen, google search on another). This device is like a mini magazine, but do people want a mini magazine? It cannot fit into my small sling bag I use for the ipad mini, I don't think. Maybe it barely can.

Maybe some medical textbook where you see the skeleton on the left and text on the right? Still, I would rather hold an 11 inch tablet than a dual 9 inch book.

efjay likes this.