Surface Neo Pre-release Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I make sure my image is small enough first (680 wide at most) and copy it to the clipboard. Click the insert icon in the compose ribbon, choose Spoiler from the list, type in the label, click Continue, then Ctrl+v to paste.

nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Holy crap! We can strike-out? My favorite editing tool.:vbbiggrin: So, we're just waiting for an anouncement from Microsoft? Is there something coming up that is scheduled?

nnthemperor, Bishop and dstrauss like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  4. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

I believe the rumour is at the W11 event on the 24th.

nnthemperor, COGBABY and Bronsky like this.
  5. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

I pretty much ignored this when it was announced, but with the rumours I’m taking a closer look.

It’s something that I want to want, but it’s hard to genuinely see the advantage over a 12.9in iPad Pro.

As others have said, I often work on two things at once. Well, that’s what Split View is for, and the ratio is flexible.

If I want to work on one A4 size artwork, there’s no hardware seam in the middle to annoy me, as there is on the Surface Neo.

I have a handstrap attached to my iPad and I think that makes it as ergonomic as a book, if not more so.

It could run full Windows apps, but how well would they run? Photoshop could run well if the UI was reworked to take advantage of the dual screens, but I don’t think Adobe would do that.

I think if MS announced a better Surface Pen, with lower IAF I would consider the Neo. I would definitely bring a box of antibacterial wipes and play with it in a store on first day of release.

nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  6. dstrauss

I don't think many people are thinking of the Neo as a full screen device. This would be a full Windows 2-in-1: mini-laptop, note taker (like a theme book), book reader, possible light gaming, all in a compact folding portable. I do have real doubts about the QC 7cx performing acceptably, and it will be in a dogfight to prove Neo = iPad + MacBook Air, which is its true competition.

COGBABY, nnthemperor and desertlap like this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That's spot on for me. What I want/hope for is an extension and expansion of the capabilities of the Duo, but with regular windows Apps.

By far the most common duo specific function I use is running a different app on each display and being able to fluidly move back and forth with out the whole minimize/maximize/shift rigmarole you have to do on single screen solutions that support split screen or multitasking functions.

Will we get that? Hard to tell, though we have heard off the record that MS was trying to do that with Windows and then Windows X but found the amount of work needed to accomplish that was far greater.

Additionally I have no need or desire for the Neo to be a higher performance device. I'd much rather have them focus on battery life and connectivity. In fact performance on par with the Go would be great as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    COGBABY and nnthemperor like this.
  8. dstrauss

Even me, the eternal pessimist, would be thrilled with this. Neo could truly be the "iPad" to our high power laptops/desktops. You also struck a real nerve there with the Apple "split screen" approach. I love the Duo concept, but with real Windows applications. My entire practice revolves around looking at a document, spreadsheet, PDF, or calendar while taking notes - it would be a joy.

9. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

I’m sure I’m dreaming at this point, but a device that could run both windows and android would be pretty amazing for my use. Especially if you could run them both in tandem, each on one screen (with the option to go dual screen on either OS when needed).

10. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

Yup, just like the Duo, for me. Especially since the only time I need or want two or more programs open and visible is when I’m editing/creating game mods, compressing/decompressing files, typing something large and I want references right there, etc. All but the last need some oomph! under the hood and all of them without exception usually need more than just two windows/programs open. Easily accomplished by my Yoga, either in my lap, on the go, or at my desk with my favorite keyboard & mouse.

Notes, for me, are always single-focus, distraction-free being ideal. Another open window of any kind is a negative. Currently my SuperNote A6X is working perfectly in that role, with direct sunlight-capable e-ink and the best EMR pen for note taking I have ever used.

Reading on a two-page device used to be what I thought would be wonderful. A recent encounter with a dead tree book (no ebook edition) disabused me of the fantasy. I’ve been single-screen e-reading for twenty years and can no longer go back comfortably. To think my library once contained 1700 books, just a portion of what I had read physically …

Anyway, horses for courses and all. The Duo and Neo will remain want to wants for me. May they evolve into the perfect devices for the rest of you.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021