Surface Neo Pre-release Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So I'm going to do something that always annoys my boss.... Interesting thing about the 7cx versus the current 8cx (of which the MS SQ1/SQ2 are just ever so slightly tweaked variations ) is that it has a substantially reconfigured cache design compare to those chips which should in theory improve performance in processor intensive tasks especially in things like emulation.

There is also some improved bridge/IO functions (faster read and write to main memory). These will be incorporated in the forthcoming 83cx chipset as well and at least a couple of the rumored OEM devices should have those chips. Though the NEO should be a 7CX device for power and size reasons.

I guess despite my occasional griping, at my core I'm still an optimist ???:p

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Now WHO's the little boy digging through the manure pile searching for the pony...:p

nnthemperor, dellaster and Bishop like this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

So, first off, no clue what the relationship between W11/WOA/?cx chipsets means for performance or battery life. Second given the beating M$ took over "last year's" chip in SDuo Uno (since we seem to be on the cusp of SDuo Dos), I can't imagine they would invite a similar barrage with a Neo launch.

My conundrum is even with an iPad Mini Pro/Air/Whatever, I'm back to a 60% mobile solution. I'd still have to lug a Surface or other windows laptop along for the heavy lifting. A Neo that performs like an SPX - with better Intel emulation - gets my 100% mobile solution in only 2 devices.

nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  4. Bishop

upload_2021-6-17_10-17-28.png

5. dstrauss

You underestimate the sheer stupidity that can be MS at times...

nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  6. Bishop

What can I say? @desertlap 's optimism got to me. Mea culpa...

[​IMG]

nnthemperor, desertlap and dstrauss like this.
  7. dstrauss

Me-a pessimist...

nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Realist here. After seeing how perfectly my Go2 performs in its role as desktop unit while docked at work and portable workhorse when on the go or home on the weekend, I am convinced that the M3 or its equivalent is the minimal power required in this sized device. I have my doubts that Qualcomm's 8Cx is going to top the M3's performance and am pretty sure that the 7Cx won't. That makes it a non-starter for a Go2 replacement. If a 7Cx Neo is in the cards this year, I do hope that it is Microsoft's only venture into WAR on a 10" device.

nnthemperor, dellaster and dstrauss like this.
  9. dstrauss

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. If MS converts the SG3 to a WOA device, that is the end of 10" x86 devices. I told a friend that if I were an Android phone user, like you, I really do think I'd go m3 and a Note 20 Ultra. Unfortunately, Apple is as Dr. Suess would say

[​IMG]

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  10. dstrauss

PS - can someone explain for me - AGAIN - how to use the spoiler tag - I can't seem to get the title and link to show...and I KNOW my cartoon postings are getting annoying...

nnthemperor likes this.