Surface Neo Pre-release Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ok ,I'm going to wade in, with some obviously speculative stuff, but based on our supply chain contacts and customer gossip.

So the stated reason about focusing on improving existing Windows functionality is true. MS is apparently feeling more threatened than ever for their desktop hegemony and logical or not, Apple's huge success with M1 (the M1 air was allegedly the single best selling system at retail in the last quarter ) is a big reason

Second, Windows X has been rethought and refocused multiple times now, and as a consequence of lack of focus is waaaay behind.

Third, MS is allegedly rethinking (again) Windows client in general. There is acknowledgment that X86 Windows is hitting multiple barriers that are beyond MS direct control and that WOA is at best, stalled right now.

So.... by doing this they take a huge chunk of pressure off and focus on something that will improve perception (and boost share price) while they continue development in the dark. Allegedly including a new core/universal kernel that is then extended specific to the platform eg.an x86 version, a WOA version and other platforms such as the rumored MS designed ARM chips.

So take that all with multiple huge grains of salt, but that's the consensus among the aforementioned groups we work with. And IMHO, I can see a lot of positives in that approach if it is indeed real.

PS: The Neo is also allegedly still alive, albeit on life support:)

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    daddyfish, nnthemperor and Steve S like this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...what's the consensus on this Win 10x news, good or bad?..>>

If this actually causes Microsoft to make a meaningful improvement in the Windows UX, then I think it's good news. I'm not sure what the implications for Neo (just to get back on topic) might be. To be Windows based, it seems like there's have to be a significant amount of effort to fully tailor that OS (giving MS credit for whatever Windows tailoring they've already done). I'm not sure I see the value in it being Android based...

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. desertlap

@Steve S I think that's part of it. I know because they are pleased with the relative success of the Duo as they have told us repeatedly and by extension the dual screen paradigm. But I also think there is realization that there is no way the current version of Windows makes sense on it (and android wont cut it either) and the work to bring a version that could is likely far more daunting than they first anticipated.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    nnthemperor and Steve S like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

APPLE BUYS MICROSOFT!

Now that’s a headline…

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think its good because ui improvements for W10 will affect a lot more users (I can imagine 2-1 and ultrabook laptop users would like the changes, which is a respectable chunk of the pc/laptop market). And when they release the Neo they should do it with a M1 competive chip, so maybe they also want to wait for their own Arm chip (if any)?

, pretty strange that MS once 'saved' Apple lol. They are now valued about the same I guess?

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Bishop and nnthemperor like this.
  6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

7. dstrauss

OK kiddies - just watching Windows Weakly and both Foley and Thurrott are predicting a surprise at the June 24 Windows 11 event - Neo will re-emerge as "one more thing" for a fall release. In fact, Thurrott "feels really comfortable this will happen..."

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. desertlap

I was just about to post something similar here, additionally and this rumor is likely to make some here unhappy is that it will be based on the new Qualcomm 7cx chip set and thus WOA based. Slight good news is an allegedly lower price point than the original was set for...

9. dstrauss

Wellllllll...then just upsize the screen to body ratio on the Duo (ie - ditch the bezels), use the QC low end chip with 5g, stick Win 11 on it, and call it a day...

10. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

It’s alive?!
    Is it about time for Microsoft to get one right? Or will it be a monstrosity? I guess we’ll find out. Grab some popcorn and peer through your fingers…

Steve S likes this.