Surface Neo Pre-release Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Feel a little uppity today as I suggested that Microsoft might come out with a folding screen device reminiscent of the Asus Duo Pro. In my, very, very humble (yes; that should be read uppity) opinion I think they did it better. Provided they will come through with it along the presentation.

dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

A smart move might be to include a Microsoft branded tablet stand, PR value and customer satisfaction for a mere 76 cents.

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not an artist myself, but I don't see any reason why an artist could not draw on a canvas spanning both screens. Panning and zooming could be used to to shift the canvas so the hinge doesn't obstruct the drawing.
    The same with inking. I don't think watching a movie will be a problem.
    What I'm saying in effect, is that I love this device.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

dstrauss likes this.
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thank you@Marty for speaking out my thoughts. Again, even this device has only a 4-hr battery life, it's still worth the effort.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

5. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

This Neo product has the ability to bring me back to Surface. Surface Pro 7 isnt a big change, not big enough for me to change. Happy currently on my iPP11, but the new pen solution on SPX looks really clever, even if its not a silo.

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yes, but Microsoft's got this...

[​IMG]

(Ok I'll stop posting gifs now, but that one was too good to pass up. :D)

burningorange likes this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

It seems appropriate that a whole bunch of dust came flying off...

tcassidy and Marty like this.
  8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The more I look at these devices, the more I'm appreciating the fit in the hand and material design:

They're like refined slabs of marble that I want just play with...unfolding and folding all day...

Bishop, wataru and nnthemperor like this.
  9. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Funny, I thought the exact same thing when Panos held the Duo in his hand - wait, it doesn't look like a phone, but like a refined slab of marble, with magic mirrors that you can fold and unfold. This (and the Neo) feel like your most personal belongings, like the notepad in your pocket, the diary in your bag. I can see these devices as perfect companion devices (imagine running PowerPoint/Slideshow on one screen while taking notes on the other screen during a presentation, or displaying the reference on one side while taking notes on the other). As a knowledge worker, these are perfect productivity tools that accompany your beefy desktop. I think this fills a usage scenario that a lot of us are looking for - lightweight laptop (client machine) that can fold into a moleskin, beefy workstation/desktop/Cintiq that is used as server and our main production device. I personally don't have a need for a large pocketable device like the Duo (I prefer iPod sized phone), but I feel like that the Duo has to replace your phone (the big phones) if it wants to succeed.

Let's hope that W10X can run proper desktop apps (using MS's container technology), or the Neo can never replace a true laptop like the Surface Go or Pro (just like an iPP can never replace your laptop).

dstrauss, Bronsky, djas and 4 others like this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Some random thoughts about this concept/preview. Curious what you guys/gals think.

I wonder about the device balance when using it in laptop mode (lower screen functions as keyboard) without the bluetooth keyboard on it. If the screens are perfectly balanced, the device will very easily tip backward when your hands are not on the lower portion.. right? Did anybody try?

When using it in 'book mode' I imagine it would feel uncomfortable with the bluetooth keyboard stuck to the back, so my guess is the bluetooth keyboard would end up floating separately in my bag, to be dug out when needed. Personally I prefer not to have any 'loose pieces'.

On the book mode, I can't think of many scenarios where reading something in book mode would make sense. Maybe a kindle app where you see two pages at once, but the main advantage is saving one swipe per two pages! :) I can see it being useful for reading something on the left, and having some reference doc on the right, but I rarely find myself doing that without also needing to be able to use the keyboard.

For casual reading, I imagine I'd fold the thing inside out, and use only one of the two screens. Now I have a 9" e-reader. That's nice I guess, but feels like a bit of a waste of screen two. Same for Netflix: basically nobody is going to watch movies in 'book mode' with that bar in the middle.

Fun side note: you could use tent mode and have two people on opposite sides of the table watch a different movie on the same device. :) But (tip to microsoft) only if it's easy to send audio output to different devices on a per-app-instance basis.

I do think it would be cool to do music production on this thing. In Cubase you could (hopefully!) drag the mixer panel to the low screen and have the track view on the top panel. That way you could use the volume sliders like an actual mixing desk, and use the keyboard for remote control (for example start/stop recording).OK, I'm suddenly more excited :D

The most obvious useful mode is um.. easel mode? Tablet folded open flat, on a tablet stand, with the keyboard in front of it. I do actually work with two docs snapped side by side quite often (paper and supporting info, or a microsoft event livestream on the left and tabletpcreview.com on the right :cool: ). But: now you need to dig out the bluetooth keyboard AND bring a separate tablet stand. And you can never fill both screens with your single Word document and read it comfortably. I guess you could put the folded-out Neo in portrait mode (screens above each other). That last mode could work, but it would be a pretty darned tall device, and again, BYOTS (bring your own tablet stand).

So.. I love the looks of this thing, it would be a pleasure to handle, open and close, juggle, and flaunt, but that display gap needs to disappear asap, and even then, imo it sorely needs some kind of built-in tablet stand.

jhoff80 likes this.