Surface Neo Pre-release Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Speaking of which, what became of the Huawei x folding device? I simply vanished from every tech blog and discussion.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

2. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

loss of Google services seems to have dampened interest.

nnthemperor and Kumabjorn like this.
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I think it is only available in China at the moment.

Chris_Kez, nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  4. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

desertlap and nnthemperor like this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ok if this is true, what the ^*&# happened to dual-screen UX portions of Windows 10X then? Sure, I heard the news outlets reporting about the course correction this year:

(OnMSFT)
    "Overall, the development of Windows 10X looks to be quite chaotic: Microsoft initially designed the OS for Chromebook-like devices, before exploring premium dual-screen devices like Surface Neo. Ultimately, the company went back to its original plans of single-screen Chromebook-like devices..."

But if the Neo is simply going to hop on Android train, does that mean they just abandoned all that future-looking work, re-imagining the OS with Andromeda? :confused:

There was some seriously promising stuff in there! And what about OEM partners like Lenovo and the X1 Fold?

I always took Panos' blog post to mean that the dual screen aspects of 10X would debut later, not be outright canceled in favour of Android. I'm seriously fearing for the Neo (and other Windows foldables) right now... :eek:

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. rabilancia

rabilancia Pen Pal - Newbie

Marty,
    Back in the summer of 1978 (yes, I am that old), Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson introduced the UNIX operating system to the world in Vol 57, No 5 of "The Bell System Technical Journal." I still have my copy.

Please let me quote from that article: "Perhaps the most important achievement of UNIX is to demonstrate that a powerful operating system for interactive use need not be expensive in either equipment or in human effort: it can run on hardware costing as little at $40,000." :D

Microsoft began modifying UNIX for commercial use shortly thereafter and began marketing & selling XENIX through Altos & SCO in the 1980s. The Open Software Foundation embraced UNIX around the same time--along with IBM and their version named AIX. In the early 1990s Linus Torvalds created LINUX which he based upon UNIX.

Today UNIX tradition lives on in Apple OS and Android.

IMNSHO, it makes sense to me that with DOS --> Windows having been written for a single platform (WINTEL x86) it might make sense for Microsoft to be moving on--slowly--to a new more flexible and adaptive platform.

I was very active with software development in the 1980s and can try to answer any questions that you might have about this history.

Chris_Kez, dstrauss, Marty and 2 others like this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Rumors at this point are often started as backfires to influence other negotiations. This is a HUGE assumption on my part, but I suspect the effort is to have W10X succeed/replace WOA. That gives MS an option in ARM space without being anchored completely to Intel or Google. If W10X development hurdles are too high for that, the fallback has to be W10X as a skin to (Samsung's One UI, Honor's EMUI) Android or full blown fork of Android or LINUX (MS's own Chrome OS?).

Few thoughts:
    1. Nobody's been successful at Android tablets despite (because of?) the app ecosystem (Samsung is stubborn)
    2. Google's been slogging at Chrome Book for almost a decade even with the app ecosystem advantage
    3. MS's advantage with Visual Basic is a double edged sword: it maintains demand for legacy compatibility but never translated into success with modern app development
    What's the best play for MS to control its own destiny as Intel's percentage of chips in the always connected world slides downhill? To @rabilancia's point, the future requires some broader strategy.

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So much this. Despite the multiple false starts around it. Windows x is a multiple processor independent modular OS going forward.
    I do think it will first see the light of day as a chrome OS alternative but only because that is essentially "low hanging fruit"

The modularity and scalability of Windows X is what people are totally under estimating...

Apple is headed down the same path albeit in a distinctly different way. Having both of their core OS's use the same chip architecture means that porting between the two becomes a relatively trivial primarily a matter of frameworks and usage profiles eg. does this app need a touch interface or is it better served by full mouse/keyboard support?

dstrauss and Bishop like this.
  9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yes, and this is great. But my main concern was that bit about the Neo being an Android device...unless you are suggesting something crazy like these guys... ;)

A fascinating line of speculation to be sure...but aren't you guys essentially suggesting that MS might be abandoning the Windows kernel? And I mean the new Windows Core kernel, the one they've been plugging away at ever since Windows 8.

All that work just given up, or hacked into a skin/fork of Android? Tell me if I'm misinterpreting something, but honestly I feel like you guys are calmly talking about Windows Armageddon, while sipping tea. :p

This would change the PC landscape forever.

10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Marty it's the opposite actually and more like the various distros of linux. eg. a simplified processor specific core but much more extensible to support various higher level OS/app functions