Surface Neo Pre-release Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

OK so don't laugh, but I wish this thing had a kickstand. The one mode it doesn't support is the standard Surface Pro mode (single large landscape screen supported by a stand). That would be the most productive mode: have the Bluetooth keyboard on your Starbucks (obviously) table, and a separate large-ish two pane screen to work with.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

What you haven't joined the pop-socket club???
    https://shop.theacc.com/PopSockets_...3865&msclkid=9d71cb7a28f010560bf196ef21a5829f

3. JoeS

Interesting.. :D I guess worst case I could buy a tablet stand, but it'd be better if it was integrated in the device. I'd be OK with a single angle, so they could even use a standard angled photo frame stand

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  4. desertlap

Seriously though I was able to pick up a little round phone/small tablet donut stand with two different angels for holding the device on clearance at Walmart for $1.50 . It's bright red, but for $1.50 I can live with that

5. JoeS

I hope Walmart angels are nicer looking than Walmart greeters. For $1.50 I fear the worst! :p

(anyway, tip acknowledged, thanks!)

Marty and desertlap like this.
  6. desertlap

gotta love typos :p:D. I of course meant angles....

JoeS likes this.
  7. kontrol1

kontrol1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Pen silo missing is a bummer. I would have liked to see a Note 10 like implementation for the pen storage on these dual screen devices. Also, it is going to be expensive to replace those screens when they crack on first drop. Nonetheless looks very interesting overall.

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I watched more on this device and it kind of has the same problem I've said all along.

It's just not going to replace either my phone or my laptop/tablet. If it doesn't fold up small enough to fit into my pocket, and I'm still going to need to put it in my bag, then two smaller screens doesn't really help me much. The seam in the middle is amazingly small for what this device is, but it's also going to still prevent me from watching Netflix or anything on it. So why wouldn't I just carry a slightly larger device? (And the Duo phone is worth consideration for me, but there's some huge potential limitations there that would stop me as well - for one I'm not going to want to constantly be flipping the device open just to see who's calling or to reply to a quick text.)

It's still really impressive though. If I was in school and needed to read textbooks and write papers and that sort of thing more frequently, then I probably would give a much stronger look at it. But I just don't split apps often enough for this to work for me.

dellaster likes this.
  9. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

[​IMG]

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

How much belief do you have in the Windows Core UX team? ;)

We saw in the Courier concept video, that clever UX design can actually make use of the seam:

Much of how we think about "notebook computing" has been formed around "the window". But this new form-factor introduces the paradigm of "the book".

How you hold it, how you view it, how you interact, all these UX modes need to be adapted into a new generation of software.

Apple showed that a new and consistent interaction paradigm can be introduced to legacy developers. The only question is: can Microsoft do it too?