Surface Neo Pre-release Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Information from the Microsoft store:

Neo and Duo
    • As far as the store knew, there was no pre-order SKU for either device. No surprise, but I figured that I had to ask!

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Did i read that right? Holiday 2020? A device that has been rumored for years ...they cant get this device to the market faster than fifteen months from now...>>

...My interpretation is that they still have processor / MoBo development to finish and (big and) they want the extra time to get the developer community engaged and creating so there are a decent number of usable apps in the Store when the devices are made available. Just my opinion, though...

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I could see myself with a Neo and Duo as my 2 device solution. All MS, which is what I thought would happen with the Surface/Windows Phone combination. All you apple phone users are going to have a hard decision to make when the iPhone 12 rolls out, even if it has inking.

The keyboard concept is brilliant. Is anyone else doing this on a 2 screen device?

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

For art purposes:

I'm not bothered by the two screens on the duo phone, since at that size you can't do much art anyway, but at the tablet size, it seems to me a foldable screen is far preferable to a dual screen solution. You really want to have full access to the whole screen without a cut in the middle.

Marty and dellaster like this.
  5. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Yeah, I think it’s neat but I can’t see any use for a two-screen device, for me. I think I’ll be waiting for a folding single screen to be perfected and prices to fall.

6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Could be interesting if battery life is there.

7. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree with you, but foldable screens seem like a bunch of bad compromises rolled together. For a screen to be foldable it has to be a thin (plastic) film, which will be wrinkly in its normal state and will wear and scratch after a only a moderate amount of art use. The inner side of the hinge needs to be baby smooth too, so that when we draw the pen across the hinge we don't get the princess-and-the-pea effect. But a hinge that can form a reasonably flat and smooth inner surface when open cannot form a tight radius when folded shut (especially considering that the screen film needs a wide radius when folded), so we'd be stuck with a big gap when folded shut like the surface book. A hinge that would fold shut with no gap would need a hollow inside to accommodate the wide radius of the folded screen film, and hence it wouldn't and couldn't form a flat support for the screen when folded open. The least of all these competing evils would be a wobbly lumpy drawing surface on a device that has 'hinge gap' when folded shut, and which wears out and scratches up in weeks not years. i.e a device that would please nobody, artists included.

I think a better solution would be glass screens that have no bezels along the hinge-line and that join in a nearly invisible seam. The seam could be made visually imperceptible - there could be almost no visible seam in the glass surface, and with a little trickery the image could have an almost invisible seam in the screen image too. There would be a little groove along the glass seam while drawing, but we could probably make that groove so tiny that it'll have an imperceptible effect on drawing performance. The glass groove /would/ wear down the pen nib, so nibs would need changing frequently. But better to change a nib than change a clapped-out and scratched up thin film AMOLED screen. It's also a compromise but to me this would be much preferable to what I think a foldable screen can offer.

Does anyone here remember the old Trinitron CRT monitors? Those used to have two thin horzontal lines that cut across the screen - something about internal support wires.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

So I guess what I'm saying is that actually, I disagree with you. :)

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Or hopefully OneNote and Outlook too. (And hey, where's that promised Android version of Whiteboard that they claimed they were starting on over a year ago?)

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ideally you are right and foldable will eventually make it practical But I don't think anyone here wants the types of issues or even being really optimistic here, the fragility like what's in the Galaxy fold.

Given the current state of tech, I think MS made the right choice, especially from what I've been able to see on line it looks like they made the screens asymmetrical with the narrow bezel sides facing each other.

Edit; and if you believe the latest rumors, Lenovo has come up with a novel way of solving one of the physical issues with folding displays in how you deal with a section that has to expand and contract numerous times without wrinkling or distorting. No one know yet what this "novel method" is but we might see it first in the rumored new RAZR