Surface Neo Pre-release Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The biggest painful thing about that video is his inability to click the "compose mode" button in Quick Actions, which actually shows how the "wonder bar" is going to work.

But yeah, it does show a lot of my concerns with the OS. Another thing that I just don't fully get is that one of the great things about USB-C is that you can just dock any device. And using Windows as a base OS should mean that you have a powerful experience when you plug into an external screen. But I'm not sure anyone is going to want to use this OS while docked.

Like I said, it's like they're trying to cater to the power users with the device itself, while the software seems specifically designed to annoy power users.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    WillAdams likes this.
  2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Marty likes this.
  3. jhoff80

There's a new version of the emulator out today. They seem to have cleaned up some of the Win32 app windowing stuff I talked about in my previous post. And there's a new previewFile Explorer. Which is really just OneDrive at the moment.

Neowin.net has a decent video of it:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    nnthemperor likes this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Neowin.net has a decent video of it...>>

But geez is it tedious to listen to him...

Bishop likes this.
  5. jhoff80

I watch most YouTube videos at 2x speed so I guess I didn't notice. :D

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It sure is a lonely joint around here these days. Anyone interested in starting a pool on whether the Neo and Duo slip to 2021? Maybe it should be a separate pool for each, as the Duo really looks much more shipment ready than the Neo and can survive on the Android App pool, while I have to wonder how much work can really be accomplished on Win10X during this Coronavirus panic.

JoeS and nnthemperor like this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Equallly annoying, just consumes less time...:confused:

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If what I'm hearing from our own supply chain reflects the broader industry as a whole I think the Neo and Duo are just a fraction of the devices that will see delays, short supply or outright cancelation over the next few months.

One of our supplies has essentially told us that's don't expect to be at 100% gain until q2 2022 if were and that they are carefully evaluating "all aspects and products of the business" . This is a company that provides displays, drives, network cards, RAM etc.

TLDR; Aan absolute death of new products through the rest of 2020. I suspect that even apple will be affected as the products appearing now were well advanced in the pipeline before all this, but that later year products will get affected as well.

My 2 cents anyway.

dstrauss likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@desertlap is on to something I am afraid. This will be an extended replacement cycle only, with failing equipment being the sole criteria for replacement, not upgrading. Here in the oil patch, because of the triple whammy of COVID19, nationwide economic slowdown (recession already with depression for this industry on the horizon), and the Saudi/Russian/Iranian price war, there will be no great economic recovery as hailed by the administration. That's even assuming we don't get a "just one more month" message on May 1.

Sorry for the doom and gloom messaging - guess I'm not adjusting to shelter in place too well.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

It makes sense that lots of things slow down or grind to a halt, but the design for 2020 devices was likely completed a while ago, and tooling for new devices seems to be something that companies wouldn't want to waste. Do you think that companies will simply press the pause button, and then launch that same device 6-12 months later? Or just throw in the towel, forget about the new design, and move on to the next iteration for 2021?

Marty and dstrauss like this.