Surface Monitor In The Works?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Mesosphere, Marty and JoeS like this.
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

A surface monitor would be pretty awesome. I'm sure it won't be cheap though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

JoeS likes this.
  3. Steve S

All I can say is that my wife's Studio 2 is stunning... and really bright!

If Microsoft really does a Surface Monitor, I hope that it incorporates pen and touch. At that point, I would force my money on them!

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

To add to the wishlist, yes, pen and touch, and also an integrated TB3 hub with display + fast charge capability, so that the monitor is a dock as well. I envision a desk with one power cable to the monitor, one skinny USB-C cable to my laptop, and wireless KB and mouse. That would be a nice and clean setup.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here’s the thing though....if they priced it at $1000ish.....while technically expensive for a 28inch model.....if it does (and it better) have Pen/touch.....for Windows users this could effectively replace a Wacom Cintiq.....thinking of it as a 28 inch Cintiq/touch alternative....a $1000-ish price tag really isn’t that bad all things considered.....even more so when you factor in the Stand cost for the 20-ish size Cintiqs to use them as all purpose monitors, and Wacoms own choice to eliminate bezel express keys. Now while EMR Pen tech is still superior....the current Surface Pen tech really isn’t that bad.....and if this does hit in 2020....it’s very likely the Surface Pen could be advanced further narrowing the gap from EMR.

Bottom line if they do release a Pen/Touch Surface Monitor for $1000-ish....My 21ux Cintiq would almost certainly be put to pasture.

And if Apple still doesn’t give full MacOS any touch/Pencil support by then....if Microsoft wanted to be extra Dickish....they would put out Mac Drivers for the Surface Monitor....or at least unofficially not inhibit it. Doing that would definitely appeal to the Mall/BestBuy shopper who has probably never seen a Cintiq in person or was blithely unaware that 20+ inch pen monitors even existed....it would be an excellent Trojan horse of sorts to get Mac users to look into the Windows camp.

6. Steve S

...But why does it take over a year to do this? I continue to worry that Microsoft has a significant time-to-market problem that's allowing the other OEMs to lap them...

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Are you serious? Even 22" Cintiq alternatives are approaching $1000. There is no chance in hell a 28" drawing monitor from MS, with touch and vastly superior screen quality, will hit that price.

The trend for Microsoft is to price things according to the industry leader, usually following Apple, but in this case, they will probably use Wacom as a reference. The 24 Cintiq Pro goes for $2499, so MS will price the Surface Monitor at at least that (but possibly higher in 2020, given the trend in rising premium device prices).

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Never underestimate just how far an "ish" can go. Where there's an "ish" there's a way.

Gizmodo reported on the same Surface Rumors and there was this part.

"Surface Studio had a starting price of $2999 and when I asked Microsoft following the announcement how much it would cost just to sell the display, they quoted a figure of about $2000. Knowing this, you can understand why Microsoft has yet to offer a standalone Surface display: The price would be too high."

So....if we maintain the assumption that...a legit reason why they haven't already released a Surface Monitor is because of the $2000 price tag......we can then assume that an actual release of it means they found a way (or at least have a plan to) release it cheaper.

Most 27-29 inch monitors range typically in the price range of $200...with higher end monitors....Ultra Sharp/Gaming/etc can hit $500-ish.....so the Display itself.....I think would be safe to put in a $500 ballpark. That leaves the Zero-G hinge....and the touch screen/digitizer grid which the Pen data piggy backs off it. Despite Wacom's insane overpricing for Touch.......it could be quite plausible that if they can find way to engineer the Zero-G hinge differently (cheaper) and maybe find ways to reduce the cost of the touch digitizer grid (without sacrificing performance).....a $1000 price point could certainly be on the table. And if not a $1000......the "ish" could extend to around $1500.....and who's to say they will only offer one 28-inch size? They could release different sizes.....20,21, 22, 24, 28, etc.... at cheaper or more expensive price points.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  9. Steve S

<<...Ultra Sharp/Gaming/etc can hit $500-ish...>>

...However, here's another data point: The Dell UP2718Q is a 27", 4k monitor with 100% Adobe RGB coverage. It's $2000.

I have to agree with @Marty on this one. Depending upon whatever features make the cut, I wouldn't be surprised to see a price of $1800 to $2200...

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The problem with this, is that the 28" 3:2 screen is a totally, totally, totally custom panel. Everything in entire supply chain for that panel is probably tailored for just one client: MS.

And as I explained in the Cintiq Pro thread, the NRE costs to create these large, exotic touchscreens is exorbitant. Heck, I'm not even sure MS has moved enough units of the 28" panels to be fully in the black, let alone trying to embark on a whole new screen size, with the associated redesign and tooling of a smaller chassis.

Maybe on sale...you know how these OEMs work: they are going to price the Monitor—to make you want to buy the full Studio.

"For only $1000 more, why not opt for full Studio and cut the cords". ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.