Surface Mini ?!?!

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Feb 14, 2013.

1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting comments from MS CFO. If they do come out with a mini I sure hope its not WP8 and it better not be freakin RT, although I have a feeling MS is going to continue to push the atrocity that is RT. A full windows desktop on a 7" screen would sure be nice if they could work on improving the scaling. For those worried the scaling would be too small, how much worse can it be than the surface pros scaling?

Microsoft’s Surface Mini: Will it run Windows 8, or Windows Phone 8? | ExtremeTech

2. Deathangel

Deathangel Scribbler - Standard Member

God that comment section is the WORST! :D
    I'd be thrilled to get more devices from MS. Not because I'm necessarily going to use them, but more options are always fun!. WP8 would be a waste, I agree. RT I don't like at all. But full on 8 would be.... weird. I'd definitely have to try an 8" desktop OS device. :D Though I chose a 11.6" tablet PC over the Surface Pro because of the 1 inch bigger screen diagonal, so I'm not the one to talk to about small windows devices :p.

3. spinedoc77

Full on windows isn't that bad on a 7" screen, I had this setup on my nexus 7 using splashtop,,which is a remote desktop client. I think if MS gives some much needed attention to scaling and if they configure things like scroll bars and minimize/close UI elements it would be nice. Granted Metro would make more sense, but hopefully they let us dieharders keep our desktop.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I think RT would make more sense for a 7 or 8" tablet. Of course, after RT gets a pen.

5. spinedoc77

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  6. Deathangel

I've "remote desktoped" into my windows on a 4.7" and a 10.1" screen. Neither was very pleasant for me. :D I could see it working, but that's a lot of steps in between. :)

7. spinedoc77

10.1? that's what many windows tablets are, the pro is only 10.6!!! 10.1 is doable, obviously based on all the tablets just released. 4.7 probably stinks though, but only for desktop, I bet Metro still works decently. I thought windows was decent on a 7", but I wouldn't use the desktop often, although I could hook up a keyboard and mouse to Android, and you always have the stylus. I'll be using this exact same setup on my Note 2 when it arrives tomorrow, although I'll try and use metro more than the desktop.

We can't be so shortsighted to assume Microsoft won't tweak windows 8 for smaller screens, they have way too much invested and the mini tablets are just making way too much money. I don't think its a question of which os, but rather of when they will get full windows on a mini tablet form factor.

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd still rather personally a little smaller. A 5-6" phone like the Galaxy Note 1 or 2, running Windows RT, with a pen. At that size, I'd be fine with them locking out the desktop. They would just have to write a phone app and SMS app for Windows RT, and it'd be great.

Actually, Paul Thurrott, of WinSuperSite fame, wrote an editorial about how they need to ditch the Windows Phone platform entirely, optimize WinRT apps (and Windows RT in general) better for portrait in addition to landscape, and add those apps. If they did that while adding a Wacom digitizer, that'd be my dream companion device. (I can't stand how unconnected the current Windows Phone platform is from Windows 8).

For me, a 7-8" tablet would be another device to juggle between. The biggest reason I wanted the Surface Pro was so that I didn't have to juggle devices that way. But a small tablet enough that could replace my phone as my go-to always with me device, that would be ideal.

Edit: It would also need to have better Skydrive syncing than Windows RT currently does. The desktop app is a million times better than the Metro app, with its syncing (selectively, if you choose).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  9. houshasen

houshasen Pen Pal - Newbie

I was actually thinking about this today. It would be really nice for them to release Surface Mini may be with RT to optimize the battery life, weight etc. BUT have a way to connect to Surface Pro e.g. screen sharing.

By screen sharing, I mean

1. Just allow it as second monitor, which you can already do with 3rd party app, but instead its built in support.
    2. May be just a dream, but have both run on its own yet allow some easy single tap screen capture share, or copy and paste etc. So I can have Mini open PDF or EPUB text, while Pro have One Note and quickly grab a page off of mini, or even run a browser on mini, but if I find interesting article paste onto One note by drag and drop from Mini to Pro.

10. Deathangel

Well, that's why I went with an 11.6" tablet over the Surface Pro and other Atom tablets. :D Those smaller devices just aren't for me. To be fair though, I RDP'd into a 1440p 27" desktop environment and didn't try Metro (because I only installed Win8 ~ a month ago and did those things before that). For Windows tablets, my sweet spot is ~12", for laptops it's the 13" range. If it works for you though, that's great. :) 7" is just too compromised for me. I couldn't use it as my standard mobile device, which would mean having 2 devices again. Which I just ditched (10" ARM tablet + 11.6" laptop) in favor of the Ativ Pro. Not going back ;).

The real future though is displays/projectors everywhere. you carry around a small smartphone that has all your power and plugs into everything and everything can act as a display. And for on the go you have your own foldable display in the pocket. :)

I personally think they'll unit WP8, WinRT and Win8 in the future and get a single OS (doesn't need to be the 8 variant though, could take some time to get there). They are already using the same Kernel, it's just a matter of optimization and deciding what features are best restricted on what devices etc. It'll happen. :) Just like Apple and Google and cooking something like that in the background. :D