Surface Laptop Studio Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 25, 2021.

1. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

I’m getting more and more convinced that this is going to happen. So much so that I have ordered a 2TB SSD. Return window closes on Jan 31st, and I'm really hoping I'll have the SLS by then!

nnthemperor and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

*Fingers crossed*

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  3. JoeS

I forget if we went over this: any chance that the TAA compliant Win10 SLS models come with a Win10 Pro license?

4. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Can't speak to the retail vendors directly, but in our corporate portal it shows the option of Windows 10 pro or Windows 11 pro. Same price for either, but the Windows 10 version is listed as backordered though, compared to "in stock" for the Windows 11 units.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  5. JoeS

Thanks. Just make sure I fully understand, it shows *only* Pro options (10 or 11), or does it also offer Home options?

6. desertlap

@JoeS not though our portal. We actually have to go through a 3rd party seller such as CDW or Best Buy to get a unit with any version of Windows Home.

That being said, Surface specific software Images of both pro and home (10 or 11) are also posted on MS developers site.

7. JoeS

So it seems the more common thing would be that TAA compliant units come with Pro? I guess/hope I'll find out in two weeks or so. The one I ordered is Win10 TAA, and I'd really like to keep access to Bitlocker, but not enough to pay for a Pro upgrade.

8. desertlap

Just found this in our notes from when MS demoed the new surface models to us. Only pro versions (10 or 11) skus are available that are TAA compliant

sonichedgehog360, JoeS and yodamiked like this.
  9. JoeS

Yesss! Nice, thanks for looking that up.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Just to add, the TAA models on Provantage are all installed with Windows 10 Pro given that they are targeting government and more security oriented customers want a tried-and-true battle-tested OS without any hidden gotchas. All these “for Business” Surface models (and I have read through upwards of a 100 in the last few weeks) are loaded with Pro licenses (11 or 10). The exception are the Education models, also sold in enterprise and business channels, which come with either Windows 10 or 11 Pro Education. I know, it’s a mouthful for what is really just Windows 10 Pro with their (now-sidelined) Cortana spyware disabled by default. ;)

JoeS likes this.