Surface Laptop Studio Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 25, 2021.

1. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

This sounds like a case of good engineering. Nice! Thanks for all the detail while some of us semi-patiently wait for their own unit to arrive.

2. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah I wonder if MS hired some new thermal experts?

We are seeing something sort of similar comparing the 7+ with Core I7 and 16GB RAM (which has fans) compared to a comparably specced Pro 8 with Core I7 and 16GB RAM

An imperfect comparison obviously due to the large differences in chassis, but observationally while the fans come on sooner in the Pro 8 than the 7+ they do so at a lower level and the Pro 8's don't seem to hit the small hair dryer sound the 7 + does when put under our worst load test.

@cbutters that's all really great info!

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

This YouTube review hits some old and some new issues (but is overall pretty positive). It did tell me that I need to do more pushups, because she thinks the SLS is lightweight and tosses it around. :)

New for me: she notices that the casing kind of marks/scratches (but I don't know how roughly she handles it), she notices some trackpad issues (maybe software?) saying that it doesn't always successfully select, and she comments on build quality issues.

Expected complaints: she laments the lack of USB-A and an SD card slot, and she's not a fan of the rounded inside edges of the screen, and she thinks the screen is unusually glossy. All in all a fair and reasonable review.

Her main request: why can't we have an angle like this?
    upload_2021-10-26_22-51-5.png

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    sonichedgehog360 and daddyfish like this.
  4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

ETA still is on track for November 8th. I really wish Provantage had Surface Pro 8 this round. I am getting the feeling that CDW is going to be a real struggle for the Surface Pro 8 orders that those of us have pending there. It has been hit or miss for me with CDW.

JoeS, Azzart and nnthemperor like this.
  5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I hope they also cancel the accessories orders if they fail to come through with the Pro 8.

Sent from my SCV43-u using Tapatalk

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

If it ends up being a flop there with nothing by the end of January, a quick call to CDW can cancel an order.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well, if the CDW orders for the Pro 8's end up falling through, I can't speak for everyone, but for me, I would probably end up buying a Pro 8 at regular price. So if the keyboard cover/pen combo's from CDW still ship out, It would still be a nice mark off. I tend to be more prone to buying tech after bad days, so after the last few stressful weeks I've had, I probably would have bought a Pro 8 by now.

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Don't make me even think about how troublesome it might end up cancelling my order of the SLS from Provantage if things go wrong. :confused:

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

Well, I called again today and their ETA is still holding for November 8th.

nnthemperor and Azzart like this.
  10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

November 8th would be great. Even some time later.
    I need to have the computer sent me overseas so I should try to avoid the mess that's December holiday.

nnthemperor likes this.