Surface Laptop Studio Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Could you go over to the Apple section and maybe do a recording on the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro? ;)

nnthemperor and Azzart like this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Got it! I will try to stop by next week.

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Well, that seeems interesting.
    I'm relocating my desk in the basement (from second floor), it might be even too loud down there at max volume. :D

Provantage already have my money, let's hope they can deliver in the end.

sonichedgehog360 and JoeS like this.
  4. sonichedgehog360

Provantage ETA still on target for November 8th.

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Thank god, because I've finished all online reviews and videos, and I'm ready to make the big data move. The coming two weeks will go by very slowly..

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    nnthemperor and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

Forum unboxing party at @JoeS's place for when we all get our SLSes? ;)

nnthemperor and Eltos like this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Hahaha, that'd be fun, if you enjoy someone going "dang it's just so heavy!" a hundred times

8. sonichedgehog360

[​IMG]

nnthemperor, Eltos and JoeS like this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

Eltos likes this.
  10. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been playing around with the SLS testing the 3050 ti dGPU to see how much performance I can get out of it with a sustained load.

Here are some notes on what I've seen:

• GPU boosts to 50W in Win11, but on Win10 I can't get it to go past 35W (not sure why, must be driver related)
    • To get the 50W boost you have to use the "hidden" battery toggle to change it from "recommended" to "Best Performance"
    • So in a 15 Minute+ load using Furmark and CPU Burner.. things settle in at GPU using ~40W and CPU ~20-22W (CPU power gets limited when dGPU is running apparently)
    • I'm really curious how Dan Rubino was able to get his SLS to actually drain the battery using the 100W power brick... While I've seen it spike at ~95-100W occasionally, loaded it just throttles itself down to around 75W system-wide (40W GPU, 20W CPU, 15W Display and overhead). The AC adapter can easily keep up with it.
    • The components don't get very hot... the blowers out the side seem to push a lot of heat and does it very quietly compared to any gaming laptop... the keyboard deck also does not get hot at all just slightly warm.. and the GPU sits around 71 degrees throughout all of this.
    • I wish they would have a turbo profile that let the GPU stay at 50W loaded and the CPU at 35W Loaded...
    • I've tried placing fans at all areas of the chassis to see if I could trigger some sort of boost response to a chassis temperature sensor... but I haven't seen anything substantial like you can see on the Surface Pro which really responds if you keep the chassis cool. This SLS might just be power limited rather than thermally limited (Or some combination of both)
    • Performance is decent... but the CPU really takes a hit when the GPU is also loaded and vice versa... in some games the combination is that something CPU intensive happens which triggers the CPU to need to pull more power; which then drops the wattage on the GPU... and your framerates tank a bit from the chain reaction.. you can just kinda see them fight back and forth for the power... makes you wish they just gave it 5-10 more watts of shared power....
    • I'm also able to overclock the GPU, can do +800 on the memory and +175 on the core without running into any issues... I even completed benchmarks at +200 core +1100 Memory... but it isn't stable.
    • Although if the thing gets hot... it will clamp the memory speeds down to 5000 instead of the overclocked 6300... but if you are in a cold environment and not blocking the ports; it seems to sustain the higher memory speed mode indefinitely.
    • Also... coming from 8 core Ryzen 5000 series chips on recent notebooks I've used.. quad core kinda sucks..
    • Windows 11 is not nearly as smooth for gaming as Win10... weird issues and micro-stutters in my experience... Rolling back to Win10 seemed like a good idea, but then the GPU didn't boost to 50W..... So I went back to Win11 for the lesser of 2 evils... as I assume things will get better with time on Win11. eGPU also has strange microstutter issues in certain games that are a bit frustrating.... and while I can get better benchmark scores with eGPU... using the built in dGPU "feels" a lot better in quite a few games... The eGPU microstutter issues were not present in Win10... so hopefully this also improves with time.

Anyways... just my usual ramblings....

Anybody think there is some magic bullet to disable the surface / intel thermal framework driver or some other trick to get this thing to perform a bit better?

I seriously wonder if microsoft has different firmware versions that are tuned to allow more heat and performance while the reviewers are reviewing... so the benchmark scores look good. Then they roll more conservative firmware updates after the reviews are out that gimp it a bit so the machines don't burn up (warranty) and get better battery life? I dunno, 100% just thinking out loud and take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021