Surface Laptop Studio Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 25, 2021.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Two different leagues, with the iPad Pro 12.9” arguably a league and a half below the Surface Laptop Studio and a half a league below the MacBook Pro. The iPad Pro 12.9” I am not particularly fond of. Yes, it had surprising good midrange and upper bass, but I find its side-firing speakers result in a slightly muffled tone in the high tones (think air around voices and the tinkling of cymbals) that I have never been able to fully cozy up to. The workaround to that is if you hold the iPad by the sides just right by cupping it the speakers with your hands, the sound radiating from the speakers is redirected directly outwards towards to you as a listener, but getting this just right can also be a pain.

I listened to the Lord of the Rings soundtrack among other things on the Surface Laptop Studio and the sound elements take up shape and fly within space with a holographic quality! Conversely, the muffled sound of the iPad Pro 12.9” is closed-in and stifling. And while its bass is deep for a tablet, after hearing the alternative, it sounds tinny. The iPad Pro was easily outmatched by the bass extension of the dedicated woofers in the Surface Laptop Studio.

The other noticeable plus I found is just how loud the Surface Laptop Studio can get, to the point you may have to turn it down just to protect your hearing if you try flooring it. In some cases, 75-80% was already very loud in Best Buy which has a loud ambient background noise level as it is from the store surroundings. Regardless of the volume level, audio was crystalline and pure, basically the polar opposite (caviar versus Vienna sausages) of the rattling or distortion you encounter on entry-level devices. The iPad Pro is maybe half the volume (and I may still be overstating it even at this rough estimate) at best compared to the Surface Laptop Studio.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    Marty likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Considering I found the iPad Pro 12.9 to be the best sound I had on any tablet I have had so far (15” Surface Book 2 included), I can’t wait to hear how good is this Laptop Studio then. :D

JoeS and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  4. JoeS

Microsoft is such a copycat, now they're trying to have their own bendgate moment :rolleyes:

upload_2021-10-22_9-6-42.png

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    nnthemperor likes this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

Ruh roh... At any rate, our proudly made in the USA Surface Laptop Studios (if that makes a difference with Bendgate: Microsoft Special Edition) from Provantage are still on schedule for November 8th fulfillment. T-minus two weeks and counting. :D

Eltos and nnthemperor like this.
  6. JoeS

Yesss! Based on past experience, does this mean "ship out on the 8th" or "arriving in customers' greedy mitts on the 8th"?

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

Here is the timeline I saw with the Surface Pro 7+, though bear in mind that that device had far more severe shortages:
    2021/03/09: Order placed
    2021/04/02: ETA of fulfillment
    2021/04/16: Order fulfilled

So just around a month and a week I would say. I had to jog my memory but this is where I posted about it earlier this year:

Surface Pro 8 - Speculation and Rumors | Page 32 | TabletPCReview.com - Tablet PC Reviews, Discussion and News

I will add that I saw the charge on my credit card as well as the fulfillment notification email come through the very day the Surface Pro 7+ was left on my doorstep (in fact, the email came after it was delivered!). CompSource, who also sells the Surface Laptop Studio (Srfc Lptp Studio, Review, Buy, Deals | CompSource.com | Compsource), reveals that these are the locations of Microsoft's regional warehouses. You can gather from this how long it should take to be shipped by ground from the warehouse to your shipping location. For example, in my case, I live so close to one warehouse that it is just one-day shipping with ground:

Monroe, NJ
    Columbus, OH
    Chino, CA
    Garland, TX
    Romeoville, IL
    Southaven, MS

Azzart and JoeS like this.
  8. JoeS

On the topic of bendgate, as the lady in front of me on the plane slams her seat back I wonder how the SLS screen would fare getting trapped under that little ridge that normally holds the tray table. My X1T3 just now almost got trapped under it, but that thing is sturdy. Not sure if the SLS would survive with its skinny screen. On the upside, maybe it would just flop down into tablet mode, here's hoping.

Edit: example of a macbook not surviving this scenario. :eek:

Marty, Eltos and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I had 2 15" Surface Book 2 and not a single one had the screen straight or plane.
    I don't know why Microsoft is unable to make a planar display instead of something that resemble a barrel.

JoeS likes this.
  10. sonichedgehog360

Here is a quick and dirty, totally flawed and unscientific audio test I recorded some days ago. If you know how a iPhone 12 Pro Max’s microphones translate into reality, though, it should give you a good idea of what this is like. The sounds all comes through crystal clear definition, tonally on point, with amazing depth and spaciousness.

neohopper, Azzart and Marty like this.