Surface Laptop Studio Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 25, 2021.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I have a lot of pet peeves (I'm like the cat lady of pet peeves), but my favorite pet peeve is that the port is consistently called the jack. (Edit: nope! D'Oh!!) The headphone jack goes into the headphone port folks! (Again, nope..) I have so utterly lost this futile battle though that I'm now also calling the port the headphone jack, just so people understand me. In short, carry on, don't mind me! :D

Edit: no wonder nobody does this "right", turns out I was wrong all these years. Mind...blown! Thanks @dellaster

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    dellaster and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ok, you and my daughter can commiserate a bit, It irks her to no end the "sexist" terminology prevalent throughout tech generally.

Don't even get her started on male and female connectors (let alone "jacks") :)

3. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Analog=jack, digital=port. But I'm sure that old distinction is fading away.

4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I am sorry if it came across as dismissive as that also wasn't my intention. :) I just have found Surface Pro's to have really good audio (and hopefully no snobby, audiophile tone of voice pokes through the screen in me writing this). I personally do not have the equipment or tools to measure them as others, but I do put a lot of stock into AudioScienceReview, Archimago, NwAvGuy, and other objectivists in the audio community who do.

I don't mean to speak ill of Head-Fi as there are many nice folks there and they have become synonymous with the online headphone community in general. However, though I do drop in from time to time every couple years or so to post random comments, I mostly moved on from there long ago. The main reason is they became too much of a subjective flavor-of-the-month take on audio to the point that they can be purposefully misleading. Why? I know it can sound trite and cliche but... follow the money.

The site founder Jude Mansilla has been caught multiple times over the last couple decades trying to push poor-measuring products and, sometimes, downright dangerous products: see this article and its comment section for the legendary NwAvGuy debacle that shook up the headphone industry. Head-Fi claims tastes are different, so everything is good. (Well then, let's just use crystal radios!) More often than not, it has turned out the highly recommended audio equipment in question is from a sponsoring/donating company. Giving credit where credit is due, Jude has tried to rebrand the site in recent years by also incorporating measurements in their review. However, he is now getting called out by experts in the field like Sean Olive at Harman for egregious issues in his measurement setup.

Again, Head-Fi community members themselves are great folks, mostly detached from the direction of the site hosts at the top. However, I would stress extreme caution in referring to Head-Fi as a serious resource for hobbyists wanting to invest their audio money wisely. Caveat emptor. But if you go in with both eyes wide open and refuse to give in to the herd mentality and buy up a headphone and equipment "stable" of hundreds of recommended products, it can be an absolutely fun place to hang out.

nyb72 likes this.
  5. JoeS

What the what?!! Following your link, I find out I was wrong all along. :eek: I've managed to become like 90 years old and always getting this mixed up?! Oh my god.. :confused: Is it too late to scrub my post off the internet and pretend I knew this all along? Jack is female? Wow.. I feel very foolish, but also relieved that I can let go of this apparently non-peeve after many decades. Thanks for putting me out of my misery!

nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah but "port" is one of the most abused terms in tech, you have physical ports, software ports (of multiple meanings), virtual ports.....

You'd think that since the tech folks are supposed to be among the best and brightest, they could come up with more new terminology to go along with it.

Of course that pales with "dongle" :)

nnthemperor, Eltos, dellaster and 3 others like this.
  7. JoeS

Over on Reddit people are reporting that the SLS sometimes sounds a bit "crunchy" when closing. :eek: Hope not all of them do that. Still no recording of the sound though.

8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Sounds defective. The display models I have used never have done that. Speaking of which, I went for a second (or third?) demo session of the Surface Laptop Studio yesterday just to demo the speakers since I was just so impressed the first time I heard them, I had to do a listening session. I compared it with literally every laptop and tablet I could get my mitts on in Best Buy. Nothing came close, not even the MacBook Pros also on display. The Surface Laptop Studio also made the Surface Pro 8, which sounds excellent in its own right for a tablet, sound tinny and closed-in in comparison. As I explained it to a family member, the sound is clean, clear, deep, and wide open, above and beyond anything I have ever experienced sonically from the Surface line. I explained to this family member that it is like having a very high-end portable speaker that also happens to be a full-featured, sharp-looking premium laptop. Speaking of sound quality, details are clearly and cleanly delineated, treble is crisp but not peaky, and the bass actually shakes the keyboard. Other aspects of the Surface Laptop Studio like the display are premium quality too (for an LCD display, that is), but Microsoft really knocked it out of the park with this speaker system.

Of course, physics is very much a thing so you shouldn't be mixing or mastering with laptop speakers even ones as undeniably, mouthwateringly good as these, but they really did something out of this world effectively raising the bar for laptop speaker design. I can easily see this appealing to DJs and music engineers who have to crank ideas out while away from the studio and the ease of their full-range, treated and tuned setups. Remarkably, the tweeters are nowhere to be seen from the vantage point of the user, yet they exhibit no treble recession or muffling with crystal clarity. In effect, they appear to be using the device chassis itself as the sound transmission points into the air. I wonder how much virtualized sound modeling and real world testing went into this because I get the feeling they tuned and placed every single piece of material internally to squeeze out maximum audio performance. Plus by some wizardry I do not understand, they do this with significantly less perceived distortion and more clarity than many unobscured front-firing solutions such as even the lauded MacBook Pro, which I also listened to. If the Laptop Studio didn't exist, the MacBook Pro would be hands down the best sounding laptop I heard yesterday, but this is on a whole other level.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    neohopper likes this.
  9. JoeS

Very nice. I have to admit that I mostly use BT headsets when consuming media on any of my devices, but who knows, if the SLS speakers are good enough I may change that habit. .... assuming it arrives (still hopeful).

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

@sonichedgehog360 can you give me a comparison impression between the sound (quality and volume) of the SLS and a 12.9 iPad Pro?