Surface Laptop Studio Discussion Thread (October 2021)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Sep 25, 2021.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Surface Book is out, Surface Laptop Studio is in! No more need to detach and re-attach the screen to go to tablet mode, no more ability to take of the screen to go to clipboard mode. You win some you lose some. Major win: thunderbolt 4 ports!

Microsoft Store link

Display: 14.4” 2400 x 1600 (201 PPI) 3:2 PixelSense, 500 nits, 120Hz refresh
    RAM: 16GB or 32GB LPDDR4x
    CPU: Quad-core Intel H35 i5-11300H or H35 i7-11370H
    Graphics:  i5 models: Intel Iris Xe, i7 models: RTX 3050 Ti  with 4GB GDDR6
    Storage: SSD, 256 GB, 512 GB, 1TB, 2TB

Connections: 2 x USB-C with USB4.0/TB4, 3.5mm headphone jack,  1 x Surface Connect
    Front facing camera: 1080p
    Wireless: Wi-Fi 6: 802.11ax compatible, Bluetooth 5.1
    Battery: 58.0 Wh, Min 56.3 Wh
    Battery life: i5 up to 19 hours, i7 up to 18 hours of “typical device usage”

Dimensions 12.72” x 8.98” x 0.746” ( 323.28 mm x 228.32 mm x 18.94 mm )
    Weight: i5 models 3.83 lb (1,743 grams), Core i7 models 4.00 lb (1,820 grams)
    Casing: Magnesium and Aluminum, Color: Platinum
    Backlit keyboard
    Compatible with Surface Slim Pen 2 and Surface Dial
    Security TPM, Windows Hello face sign-in
    Power supply: i5: 60W, i7: 95W

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    nnthemperor likes this.
  2. JoeS

Quote from the hardware event discussion:
    [​IMG]

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. JoeS

Some more early reactions from the locals:

4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

TBH, I prefer the SB design to the SLS. Plus, they should have the 13 and 15 SKUs. Holding tight onto my 15" SB2.

Sent from my SM-N975C using Tapatalk

JoeS likes this.
  5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

A real, albeit brief, hands on with the Laptop Studio.

JoeS and negative1 like this.
  6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ditto, here. I'm still tempted to pick up a SB2 15" myself, one if the most elegant and revolutionary slate designs ever created.

Just curious how often do you use clipboard mode, vs. convertible mode, vs. laptop mode?

The SLS seems to be a step back in almost every respect? The base specs/pricing are kind of underwhelming compared to the new 16" HP Spectre x360 (that's 16:10 OLED!). And if you want graphics performance and the best digitizer, the D7 Ezel is available for only $500 more.

Without the detaching, what's the draw?

nnthemperor and Azzart like this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I strongly suspect two things.

1. We know how much MS likes it's telemetry. I'd be willing to bet that the MS telemetry showed that the number of real world users (this forum doesn't fit generally) that actually disconnected the slate portion is quite small.

I'm certainly the exception within my company in my use of the slate portion of my SB2. There is one other person that very occasionally uses the slate portion when she does a presentation, but otherwise uses it as a laptop.

2. Clever as the design most certainly is, there are many inherent compromises in the design of the book including essentially forcing the use of lower TDP processors and limiting or down clocking the graphics cards.

Obviously they didn't go with the really powerful processors with the Studio either, but OTOH regardless, based on the brief hands on we had last week the new design has some obvious benefits for thermals so it's less likely to be thermally limited as quickly as the current books are (happens to me frequently)

Last but not least, and this is the squirmy part for me, but the MS reps repeatedly referred to the Studio as a "statement device which defines the very best MS Surface technology".

IMHO that and $4 will get you a grande Starbucks, but OTOH the book never had "sex appeal" whereas the new studio seems to. eg. people have seen my book before and "it's a laptop" whereas the "what's that" factor is definitely there for the new Studio.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

And I still miss after selling it two years ago.
    I was very tempted to get the a used Book 3 sometime soon and then came crushing everything the Laptop Studio with better pen and Thunderbolt port.

Oh well, January/February is still far away, we'll see what options I'll have then.

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ok, but how much of that is because using Windows in tablet mode is just...bad?

It's like asking how many people use the Surface Pro without the type cover. Probably very few, because you have to be a tablet PC nutcase (ie. us :p) just have the patience to teach yourself how to adapt pen and touch to a mouse and keyboard-centric interface.

Rather than simply abandoning the form factor, they should be asking how they can improve their OS to leverage the unique hardware capabilities of Surface.

Again, I have to say this should be incentive for them to improve power-performance with new chipsets (eg. AMD APUs, custom Alder Lake SoC). Or they could have the clipboard run in CoreOS mode to allow an even thinner screen. Another option is to offer a thicker "performance base" with better cooling.

The Surface Book design offers so many different ways to tackle the TDP issue, that going convertible is just about the laziest way you could "solve" it. (And as you and others have noted, they didn't even raise the performance bar appreciably, but they did manage to sacrifice everything unique about Surface Book.)

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Those are great questions and I can only speculate as to why.

I agree that for the right user, the book concept is solid, but as I listed some of the limitations I think that combined with the design it becomes a question of why would I need something like this and importantly , pay a significant premium for it?

Specifically as to why not switch processor architecture, that inherently gets more complex the more "custom" for lack of a better term the design gets. Even fundamental aspects like port location and cooling needs are different between say a rzyen and a core I. For example, intel and amd have different heat dissipation points and RFI emissions and the case needs to be adjusted to that accordingly.

Which BTW is why most of the OEMs tend to develop specific product lines with specific chipsets with the Surface Laptop being a rare exception (and even there, the heat pipes and fans are in slightly different locations between the two).

In other words, I think the book wasn't selling in the numbers expected, customers kept asking for something else design wise anyway, and perhaps MS took the path of least resistance ?

nnthemperor likes this.