Surface Laptop SE

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by desertlap, Nov 18, 2021.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Another interesting decision by MS.

I get that they are almost desperate to claw back the market share and mindshare they feel like they have lost to Chromebooks (remember Windows X at one point was also positioned at this market).

OTOH one of biggest surface customers told me yesterday that he feels like this sullies the Surface brand and makes it more complex for him as he's positioned the Surface line as a somewhat "premium choice" within his organization.

My two cents, I give this a year or less before they abandon it too... and it makes zero sense when you add S Mode to the mix. Why not instead just expand on that and create an "E Mode"

Windows 11 SE: Microsoft's answer to the remote learning problem - CNET

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Do you think both OS and device will be abandoned or just this latest Windows flavor of the month? They might as well start iterating through the entire alphabet at the rate (RT, S, SE, E...) they're going with trying to get mud to stick on a wall...

dellaster likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

@sonichedgehog360

It's interesting to me that MS is quite literally not listening to customers. I have been in a least three meetings recently where a customer has explained why they went with Chromebooks over say something that's actually comparably priced such as an HP stream running Windows 10 S.

The big thing that convinced them to go Chromebook are things like how easily and completely and they can lock down the systems (the vast majority schools disable the play store completely for instance).

Chromebooks are also by far the most easy to deploy as multi-user devices. Just give each user an account authentication and they can pretty much go to any Chomebook and be up and going in moments.

Not to mention the ease of recovery if a user ,even given the above , manages to bork the machine, it's simply a three minute PowerWash away.

From the briefings we've gotten the only thing IMHO that this addresses is putting Microsoft's name and Windows forward, but so potentially neutered that the argument then becomes "why wouldn't I just buy a Chromebook anyway given the established tools, knowledge base and administration benefits. In other words I don't see the upside."

BTW: The iPad has benefited from this tightly locked down approach as well. Especially with something like Jamf software (almost 85% education IOS users , have it ) and a custom App store.

That's one of the reasons why Apple will continue to to fight sideloading tooth and nail IMHO.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

That seems to be Microsoft to a tee right now. They are going right into the ebb mode of willful ignorance and corporate stupidity, so they won't get things right again until after probably three to five years of self-inflicted suffering because that's classic Microsoft for ya.

dellaster likes this.