Surface laptop go discussion

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by daddyfish, Oct 26, 2020.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

Wanted to post a good review about the Surface Laptop Go but did not see a discussion thread about so here it is.

Here a good review that highlights most of the device's pro's and cons (at the end a summary) for if someone is doubting on whether to get this laptop or not.

Personally I would have gave it a slightly lower score because this device lacks a microsd card in contrary to the Go 1/2 which would have helped its small amount of storage. Another less obvious detail (but discussed in the review) is that the battery life is decent but not what one would expect considering the lower screen resolution. On the plus side build quality, keyboard, microphone and touchpad all appear to be above average at this price. As well as a few 'premium' features like 3:2 screen aspect ratio, fingerprint reader (no Windows Hello) and very low weight. Practically speaking the screen seems like a good screen unless for people that tend to place their laptop closer to their eyes (like eg as a tablet, than the low resolution could be distracting). Speakers and camera seem to be average or slightly above average. Possible deal breakers could be lack of backlighting, mediocre graphics card, lack of pen support and storage is subpar for this price but is likely not big of an issue for OneDrive / cloud heavy users (as long as people skip the entry model). Memory at non-entry model looks to be sufficient for a small lightweight ultra-book and for the price point.

MS store link (note that the entry model lacks the fingerprint reader and has emmc storage instead of a ssd):
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/surface-laptop-go/94FC0BDGQ7WV?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

The highest priced model seems to be the least interesting considering it reaches Surface Laptop 3 prices. The entry model seems to be geared to simple uses cases or as a secondary device. For most buyers I would recommend the middle priced model. I think that covers most of the important details, let me know if I missed something.

JoeS likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The Surface Laptop itself because of its strict laptop form factor was never really too popular in our crowd...the Laptop 3 kind of was but more so for a approximation of how we could expect AMD to transition to other Surface devices. So I don't think the Laptop GO will appeal to too many people on this board.

I did stop by Best Buy today and I did see the Laptop Go.....oddly it wasn't on the main Surface table, it was on one of the center communal product tables in between two HP laptops. Odd they wouldn't put the "New" product out front and center. They also did not have the Pro X2, and the Duos' are now fixed to their display so you can't actually fold or play with it.

I was most impressed by the Bezel Reduction, it really makes the whole device look very compact. and not having the Alacarta crap on the keyboard is an instant plus in my book. Aside from that, kind of a no-trills device. The screen res being lower I definitely noticed though, its a shame they couldn't have just matched the GO's resolution.

daddyfish likes this.
  3. daddyfish

, that is a good point, I forgot for a moment this was a tablet forum. The Laptop 3 has a digitizer so at least it can be used for quick inking in eg Office, or as a cheaper inking tablet by placing the screen on the table (kind of awkward but 15 inch Laptop does give you a big canvas this way :vbsmile: while cheaper than Book 15).
    This one does not even have a digitizer. :vbfrown:

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ars Technica review of the Laptop Go. They seem to be the laggards with reviews of late. This one isn't the trool bait that the review of the Go 2 was.

I actually agree with his overall sentiment that it's a bit confusing with some of the choices such as the 4GB RAM 64GB EMMC configuration. More significantly, to me the strangest decision was to provide what is otherwise a superb keyboard, and yet not backlight it.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/11/microsoft-surface-laptop-go-review/

JoeS likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah that's just crazy. I didn't even realize this until this exact review. It's not like people buying the bargain basement version will be professionals using it in a brightly lit office all day. I wonder how much MS saved by skimping on that.

6. daddyfish

, this makes it hard to recommend to students etc I think, where otherwise the 8gb ram 128gb ssd model could make a lot of sense. Maybe for kiosk functions or compact work laptops? Seems kind of niche though.

7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's not real clear to us who they are targeting. For the same price as the base model of the Laptop Go, which they seem to be targeting to education you can get a better chromebook with significantly lower TCO

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member