Surface Laptop Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 2, 2017.

1. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

I had no idea. So Windows 10 S installations are truly normal Windows 10 with parts cut out or disabled.

2. chongsen

chongsen Pen Pal - Newbie

Just like surface studio, I think they finished the Surface laptop and hold it for like 1 ~ 2 years.

It could be an abandoned surface book design. Surface team just brings it back since MS needs a Windows S laptop.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Pricing goes up pretty steeply.. :eek:

upload_2017-5-2_13-23-1.png

Looks like most models ship 6/15, but the i7 16GB/512GB ships 8/15 for some reason.

dellaster likes this.
  4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Maybe supply restraints?

5. JoeS

Maybe, still seems a little odd. It's not like those are niche components or anything. And they probably wouldn't need too many of those in stock either, especially at $2199!

6. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

My thoughts.

-With an SD card slot and a yoga style hinge... this would have been incredible... (although I understand them not wanting to incorporate this to not detract from surfacebook. A switch to a yoga hinge would almost seem to say... yeah that surfacebook hinge was a bad idea.)

-Not seeing why anyone would buy this over the surfacebook from a practical perspective, except maybe if they want fancy colors. I'd spring the extra few bucks to have a sd card slot / detachable reversible screen / dgpu options.

-I understand the surfacebooks high price due to unique features... the suface laptop... not so much.. seems like it should be ~$800

Macbook killer... would have been even more effectively so if they included a sd card reader and a usb-c port.

I don't know how the rest of you feel about it, but the slow but sure progression locking down the application ecosystem is... troubling.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Random thoughts:
    • Form factor - the retina MacBook Air that Apple users BEGGED FOR :thumbsup:
    • Pricing - top model is $100 MORE than SP4 with pen :vbconfused::vbconfused:
    • Touch on a regular laptop is a great third input choice (pinch, zoom, select targets and text) :vbbiggrin:
    • No USB-C is DUMB - at least replace mini-DP with USB-C or better still USB-C compatible Thunderbolt 3 :vbmad::vbeek:
    • What happened to Panos' i7/16gb/1TB SKU:vbconfused::vbfrown:
    • Windows 10 S (please, no scatological jokes):vbtongue:
      • Sounds like it is at least part of the magic (smoke & mirrors) behind the 14.5hrs :newpalm:
      • Would (will) be interesting if full desktop versions of Office, Adobe Acrobat Pro, etc. work inside it :newpalm:
      • Free upgrade to Win 10 Pro for six months - who's to complain (even at $50 thereafter):thumbsup:
    • Fuzzy keyboard :vbeek:
    • Colors (well, at least in th main SKU of 8gb/256gb) is good for the young crowd:newpalm:
    • IT IS NOT A CHROMEBOOK PIXEL:thumbsup::vbbiggrin:
    • Overall value :vbconfused::vboops::vbconfused::vbwink:

gcoupe, sonichedgehog360 and JoeS like this.
  8. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Final thoughts:
    • Give me back those two hours! I could have gone hiking before it got too hot and windy!
    • At least the comments here (from the peanut gallery) made the wasted hours more entertaining.
    ;)

9. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

I think it's just dumb. They should have included Yoga-style hinges & USB-C instead of making yet another craptop.

sonichedgehog360, YVerloc and gcoupe like this.
  10. JoeS

Eagerly awaiting comments by @spinedoc77 after he's calmed down a bit from his initial rant on macrumors :D

spinedoc77 likes this.