Surface Laptop Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 2, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

PS - look at what you are getting for $1699 with the Acer Switch 7 - "only" 512gb ssd, but $1,000 more? Really?

2. soh5

soh5 Surface or Bust Senior Member

I am personally pretty close to pulling the trigger on buying a Samsung Notebook 9 Pro. 15" 1080p display, S-Pen, 16gb of ram, 256 SSD (user upgradable), i7 dual core, and a modest dgpu which still is leaps over a Iris option.

The only thing that may dissuade people is the 1080p, but lets be real, as someone who has used 2k, and 4K displays while out of home, I prefer to have more battery life.

3. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

As someone who has pulled the trigger on a Samsung Notebook 9 Pro I can say the 1080p monitor isn't an issue for me. The quality of the screen is extremely good, and the quality and accuracy of the pen is absolutely fantastic. Selecting options in application menus and tools foolproof. No one that has tried it has made a negative comment about the resolution, and if they comment about the screen they say how nice it is. I can't say that I have any regrets about buying it, although I will probably buy the Gen8 4 core version if and when they hit the shelves, and sell this one on. The only reason I would do that is for the increased virtualisation capabilities the 4 core part. Everything I run on a daily basis runs perfectly well on the 2 core Gen7 which includes running a Mint VM.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Last week I noticed it was now available in my local electronics outlet. So I'm guessing they've started penetrating overseas markets more aggressively with the laptop. It looked very enticing next to the Fujitsu, Toshiba, NEC and Vaio offerings. But I was the only one watching.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Everyone else was over at the Apple kiosk...

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

That one has actually been reduced to a counter and even moved from the front of the store to the middle. Household electrical stuff like neon lights and such are moving forward. Guess people are buying what they need, not what they want.

nnthemperor and Marty like this.
  9. Rachel Yun

Rachel Yun Pen Pal - Newbie

10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, it's everywhere in Japan now. Got one for my father-in-law at Yodobashi camera.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk