Surface Laptop Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 2, 2017.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Microsoft's partners have already released their vision of Windows S. Acer has a Travelmate B118 that has a Yoga-like hinge and comes with Windows S for $300. Travelmate is Acer's' Business class notebook, which are normally well built. https://liliputing.com/2017/05/windows-10-s-budget-laptops-coming-acer-asus-dell-hp-others.html So, the Surface Book is really a Mac 12 competitor (particularly with the ability to upgrade to W10 Pro for free) . An I5 model going for under $1,000. I could see them selling a lot of these to students. The rest of the student market will be serviced by Microsoft partners under their own brands. It actually is a great strategy.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

A touch screen is a must-have for me by now. I use it all the time when in laptop mode, and I wouldn't want to lose it. Using a pen on a laptop though... :confused:

Starlight5 and DRTigerlilly like this.
  3. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

This. If it had a 360 degree hinge of some kind it would have been something special.

As it is, it's a MacBook lookalike competitor. Heavier and thicker than the Core M version that, I think, would be much less annoying in a college-level class environment (no fan). The utility of pen and touch on a pure laptop is debatable.

On the plus side it brings 3:2 aspect ratio to a modern laptop. Finally!

Oh well, it is what it is and clearly was not intended for the tablet PC crowd. :p

4. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But we don't have any kind even Yoga style mode so touch screen is dramatically less useful on this device.
    We are talking for simple a traditional laptop(even being top high end laptop)

It's just a laptop.

Over 3 years now I'm addicted to 2 in 1 form and can't move to any kind traditional laptop.

I found that form factor the best so far for covering the most of my need for entertainment and work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Starlight5 and DRTigerlilly like this.
  5. JoeS

Marty likes this.
  6. JoeS

From that same video, a closeup of the hinge mechanism.

Nope, this is not going to lay flat.. Interesting side note, the Bloomberg voiceover at this exact point in the video says "But it will only take one failure to knock them back to the bottom". :D

upload_2017-5-2_12-45-21.png

dellaster likes this.
  7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The longer they go without USB-C the more ridiculous it gets. I personally think that the Surface Connect port needs to vanish forever... but even for people who disagree with me... there is absolutely no reason to go with mini-DisplayPort over USB-C at this point. The biggest knock on USB-C is that it needs adapters, but at the same time, there are no displays with mini-DisplayPort. It's just absurd to keep moving forward with brand new designs without USB-C at this point. I can half understand it for legacy devices, but with the Studio and now the Laptop, they would have been able to start from scratch.

Edit: Also, have they mentioned which specific CPUs? One thing to be wary of that probably isn't news to most here is that Intel has stopped differentiating between what was formerly Core M and an i5/i7. I would guess based on battery life they are using what was previously called Core M. Might be a factor for some in buying this or not.

Edit 2: Actually, scratch that first one. You can tell because they say that it's Iris 620 that the i5's are the U series ones.

8. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

After thinking about Windows 10 S for a bit, I've come to the opinion that it should be a mode of Windows 10 Pro instead of upgradeable to it. That way the admin could easily and quickly switch back and forth as need and situation demands.

Call it Nanny Mode.

Also, the Surface Laptop is targeted at University students yet they are the ones for which W10S is least suited. K-12 students, sure: control their use. They're children.

But college students? They're adults and can decide for themselves whether to stick with "safe" Store Apps or venture into the wild, "dangerous" world of non-Store apps.

Edited to add: well, Uni students are going to own these pricey things—the school won't be purchasing or maintaining them—and most will immediately opt to upgrade anyway, at least while Pro is free. So the initial W10S condition will be moot.

Starlight5 likes this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My thoughts......this is what the Surface Book should have been for the most part. Although we all here love the 2-in-1 market and tablet form factor......face it.....most people (the general Best Buy browsing non-tech savvy user ) still prefer the laptop form factor. Walk into a Starbucks or any coffee house.....if you see someone with a 2-in-1 device or a Surface Pro/Book......95% chance they are using it in laptop mode. And if they are using it tablet mode.....thats probably me you're seeing at that coffee house....we here at that forum represent that remaining 5%.

So to make a proper laptop Surface is not only logical....but overdue.

However.....I can't wrap my head around some of the design choices they made.

Did they not learn their lesson with that flop of a failure Windows RT?.....this Windows S....although I give them some credit... to enable it to be upgradable to proper windows 10 is an improvement over the locked in nature of RT......but if it's well powerful enough to run Windows 10 pro.....why even bother with S?......it just seems pointlessly done. Especially for a device that starts at a grand.......and at the $999 and up price point.....this is no competitor to a cheap chrome book....this is an outright MacBook competitor.....which makes the inclusion of Windows S all the more perplexing.

On the hardware side.....the lack of USB-C is troubling.....everyone else.....Apple, Wacom, Samsung, Lenovo, etc.....is rocking USB-C.......I could understand not using Thunderbolt 3.....but a single 3.1 standard Type -C port is the most logical thing for any company to start supporting.....the Surface Studio was an odd case, but that was designed and held off for a year.....but for something like this they have no reason to not put a USB-c port.

And at 14mm thick.....I also find the lack of Discrete Graphics Card Troubling. And Almost presumably the Core i5/i7 in this will still be 15w ULV Dual Cores.

The Pro and Book....because of their form factor and thermal/weight limitations have to make some concessions....but in a traditional laptop form factor....there is no reason this couldn't (and shouldn't) have a 28w or higher Quad Core CPU and Discrete Graphics. They could have made this thing a performance beast.....but instead they opted for another house cat.

Kumabjorn and dstrauss like this.
  10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There's actually a switch in the Creators Update to do just this. Allow all apps, allow only store apps, and warn before installing non-store apps.

nnthemperor, JoeS and dellaster like this.