Surface Laptop 2/3/4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 2, 2017.

1. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

2. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As "only" a laptop, there isn't that much that they could do different about it without getting into Surface Pro or Surface Book territory. I think it was wise for them not to muddy the device categories.

A Surface Mini for "Education" with a lower price would be a low-margin product which MS is probably not going to do anymore unless neccessary (maybe with a W10onARM device).
    MS has established Surface as premium brand with high sticker prices that people are willing to pay. They will leave those low-margin thingies to their OEM partners. ;)

And with W10S on the Surface Laptop they are trying to send a message that high-end computing and Windows 10S can go hand-in-hand. This way they try to avoid the potential image of W10S as a poor man's Windows of sorts and so W10S has a flagship device in the market even if that combination just serves as a marketing/promotion driver.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Chris_Kez likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I don't disagree with any of this...I just can't get my head around the overall strategy with the Surface Laptop.

Could you elaborate on this? Which factors went into MS consideration with the Surface Laptop?

Each Surface up till now had a unique form-factor to distinguish it from competitors and move the industry forward. What differentiates the Laptop (capital L ;)) from other laptops?

I'd also like your opinion on the overall marketing strategy regarding the Creator's Update.

MS made a huge splash last year emphasizing creative workflows and hinted at upcoming hardware to support creative professionals...all expected to appear right about now.

Is that gone? Why waste such amazing marketing momentum only to announce a regular ultrabook, that isn't targeted at the education market, while simultaneously emphasizing education? :confused:

Kumabjorn likes this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

First, $300 for 4 GB of RAM and 128 GB of storage and uhhmm some color options? Have robber barons returned?

Second, and more interesting, Windows S eh? So what will this be called by folks?

Windows Sucks
    Windows $ħ¡Ť
    Windows Surface
    Windows Special Needs
    Windows Sigh
    Windows Standard
    Windows Starbucks
    Windows for Simpletons

I guess I'm bored by that announcement.

dellaster likes this.
  5. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A comfy palm rest does have its benefits. I have to admit that I have fallen asleep with my head on the palm-rest of my MS Natural Ergonomic keyboard more than once... :oops:

dellaster likes this.
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

This!
    Makes absolutely no sense from their stated Surface objective. If it has been priced equivalently to Chromebooks, then at least they would have introduced a future price segment for PC hardware.

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

So then maybe in light of your boredom and Kvorams post above yours: Windows Snoozefest :p

Kumabjorn likes this.
  8. JoeS

This makes sense, but you do have to wonder how those meetings went in which they debated between "it's a Surface device so it must have a pen" and "it would be insane to launch it purely as a laptop while adding pen support".

My wild guess is that fewer than one in ten users will want to buy a pen for the Surface Laptop, given how awkward it will be to write on it. Or would it kind of work holding it open like a book with the screen on the side? Hmm..

9. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

They stated the purpose of the Laptop in the presentation - Balance. Panos made a big deal of the design priority being to find the right balance of power/performance/battery life/thinness/lightness without sacrificing any of those things to make room for any other of those things. He also went on and on and on and on and on about how the hardware should just get out of the way, so in a round about way, justifying no revolutionary new hardware things, but stating that the goal was to perfect the current laptop form.

And also the fuzzy palmrest. I've got to admit, I've got a textured sticker on my surfacebook right now and I really like it vs the naked keyboard deck. I'd love a soft fabric deck.

10. JoeS

I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but I actually own the Alcantara type cover, and apart from its horrendous looks I do like the feel. The outside has a soft fabric feel, kind of velvet like, but the palm rest is actually a little harder, more like soft plastic. I'm curious if this is the same thing they did with the Surface Laptop, or if it's furry all over.

dbrn, soh5, kvoram and 1 other person like this.