Surface Laptop 2/3/4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 2, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Except for email attachments - we had a secretary, who's husband is a tech consultant, open an obviously suspicious email link from another person in the office (whose home email address had been hacked and sent out to all teh familiar people).

2. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

sonichedgehog360 and JoeS like this.
  3. dstrauss

OK folks, time to move along...nothing here to see FOR US. We aren't the target market, and I think it is a great solution for the hip college and Starbucks crowd. To this day my daughter LOVES her old MB Air over her MBP 15 - smaller, lighter, superior battery, instant on/off. She, like almost every Mac-aholic I've met BEGGED for a retina MB Air - NOT the MacBook they got, or even the newer MBP 13. Microsoft has given them the retina MB Air in spades, with upgrade specs that can take on the MB Pro 13, AT A POUND LIGHTER.

And don't think Microsoft isn't aware of that - many points in Panos' presentation shot right across Apple bow: the ability to open the screen one handed; tapered design; laser cut, no light bleed keyboard; thinnest touch/pen panel screen ever; beefy upgrade options; colored laptops...

THIS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH CHROME OS OR CHROMEBOOK - this was about bringing the safety of the iOS walled garden and design to the Mac OS laptop environment. Don't mis-underestimate them (as George the younger used to say) - the folks over at MacBreak Weekly were mesmerized because even they recognized the superiority of touch as an option on a laptop. That even applies to naysayers in the Windows camp (Thurrott used to fume about touchscreens on laptops but he is now a convert)- touch is an EXCELLENT third input option - being able to just reach up and touch links; scroll furiously through a document or web page; size a page, picture, or other screen element...Microsoft is kicking Apple's ass at the moment.

So it is NOT the device for 95% of us geeks, especially on this forum - big deal - because it IS a BIG DEAL in the overall market. I know I've whined and complained about this not moving the ball for me, BUT THAT IS GOOD, because I'm playing with a football (American) and they are now off into a whole different football (international soccer). Good job Satya and Panos.

Their only mistake is NOT REPLACING MINI-DP WITH USB-C!

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  4. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good and bad news regarding USB Type-C on a Surface:

Microsoft apparently DOES have a Surface Laptop prototype with dual(!) USB Type-C ports. So they are at least already toying around with that in their Surface family.

I just took a closer look at the Craftmanship ad for the Surface laptop, here is a screenshot. Damn you Microsoft, why didn't you release this: :mad:

Let's hope they will finally come around for the SP5/SB2.

[​IMG]

bloodycape, Marty, JoeS and 1 other person like this.
  5. dstrauss

@kvoram - What eagle eyes, and TWO USB-C (dare we say Thunderbolt) along with USB-A - WTF!

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ok, to @dstrauss and all our resident MS theorists... ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first Surface without a unique mechanical element?

We had:

Surface Pro - "Full-Friction Kickstand"
    Surface Book - "Dynamic Fulcrum Hinge & Muscle Wire Lock"
    Surface Studio - "Zero Gravity Hinge"

Surface Laptop - ??? :vbconfused:

So is this indicative some new strategy for MS? Are they finished innovating form factors? Is this Surface not supposed to be an aspirational product?

Why not a Surface Mini for "Education"? Seems like that form factor would fit classrooms way better (and school-boards would appreciate the lower price ;)).

What about all the momentum they built with the Creator's Update and Surface Studio reveal? Where are they going with that?

None of the pieces seem to fit!

Please help! My brain cells cannot grasp the overall strategy here...

JoeS likes this.
  7. dstrauss

[​IMG]

...by the fuzzy keyboard?

Tams and JoeS like this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Surface Laptop: Wookie palm rest

Tams, gcoupe and Chris_Kez like this.
  9. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

After reading through the comments here and a few other places I'm really surprised that so many people still seem to fundamentally misunderstand Surface. And it's unfortunate how much undue stress they're placing on themselves as a result.

First, and most clearly, Surface is premium. From Merriam Webster: "a sum in advance of or in addition to the nominal value of something". In other words it costs more than it should; you are paying an extra amount over and above what you would expect to. Surface is not just expensive. No; a Dell or Lenovo business laptop with i7/16GB/256GB is expensive; a gaming laptop is expensive. Surface is priced at a premium; whether it's for the screen or the design or the Microsoft name-- it doesn't really matter since it probably can't actually be justified rationally. So forget about Surface Laptop being priced reasonably, and certainly not starting at $600 or $700 or $800 as I've seen some comments suggest.

Second, and most importantly, Surface is complementary, not competitive. Microsoft is not looking to build the best all-around device, or the best bang-for-your-buck, or the best selling PC of 2017. No, they want all of those devices to come from PC vendors. You want Surface Laptop to not only support touch and pen, but also have USB C/TB3 and a flip around screen for tablet/tent mode? And maybe offer all of that with i7/8GB/256GB for less than $1500? Well you're now squeezing the HP Spectre x360, Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 and Lenovo Yoga 910- key products from your three largest partners. Even if you price it at a premium to satisfy the "why can't you at least give us the option?" crowd, the very presence of such a product from Microsoft that seemingly does everything places pressure on their partners.

I think Microsoft, like Apple, is very carefully picking and choosing exactly which features to have on which Surface devices in order balance their own sales and profitability vs. their partners' success. Unfortunately those goals do not necessarily align with enthusiasts who just want Microsoft to make the best device possible at the best price possible.

djas, Starlight5, negative1 and 2 others like this.
  10. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@dstrauss - Nothing new about other device makers outdoing Apple's hardware. Phones, tablets, desktops (in spades!), and laptops. You must have heard Leo Laporte say as much, touting the recent... HP Spectre x360, was it?(Edit: Dell XPS 13)... on MacBreak Weekly in the presence of those Mac fanatics. Saying it bests the MacBook Pro by a lot.

It doesn't matter, at least not until the point where the device becomes unusable. The Apple choice is all about the OS, ease of use, interoperability, ecosphere, "it just works", appearance, peer acceptance, yada yada... It's not about the hardware specs. Heck, it's difficult to even find out which Core chip is used in a particular Mac. Sure won't find out on Apple's site. (e.g. Is it an i5 6200U or a 6260U?)

So, Surface Laptop? Not a threat at all.

Last edited: May 2, 2017