Surface Hub 2 - 50.5" 3:2 ~4K Collaboration Device

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by jnjroach, May 15, 2018.

1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

LOL - If you use giant post it notes in meetings or a whiteboard the Surface Hub is a great digital solution, instead of taking photos of the whiteboard/post-it note I can send the OneNote file directly to all who attended the meeting.

We use Teams/S4B for all of our Conference Calls to both customers and remote workers. I guess it may come as a shock that not all solutions are designed for all workflows. Those who need the Surface Hub use it those who do not probably wouldn't buy it. That is why there is still Cisco, Polycom and Logitech Solutions out there...

Surface devices will always be designed as Halo Solutions that drive the deeper Microsoft Ecosystem which is now all around the Cloud Services (M365, Azure, Dynamics 365).

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can only speak for my own needs (and in the broadest of terms), but I've got three different projects going on, each with a different site of my company (a large company in an FDA-regulated industry). Plus, corporate headquarters is another site as well, and the regulatory experts are at that site.

Each of these projects involves transfer of some of the lesser processes that occur at my site to another site (so that my site can focus on our core competency). We've had to draw up process flow diagrams, diagram different steps and materials, and demonstrate some of our lower-tech planning / tracking systems that take place on whiteboards (ahem - "Class A Manufacturing Visual Aids") and so we currently diagram by hand and take photos, or have to prepare Visio drawings in advance. We use Webex screen sharing, but for these types of projects it would be helpful to have a shared 'whiteboard' workspace while talking through diagrams and such. Obviously some of the conferencing apps have whiteboarding features which nobody ever uses, so a device like this that makes that part of the natural flow has advantages.

But again, we'd never be able to convince corporate IT around here. :D

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    JoeS, Bronsky and jnjroach like this.
  3. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I regret everything.

Bronsky likes this.
  4. kneehowguys

What do you feel the surface hub 2 adds over cheaper electronic smart white boards? Can move it on this eisel thing. I guess that's it? Am I forgetting something?

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Smartboards are a combination of sensors in the whiteboard and projected images. I like them, but they have their limitations. They are not true pixelated displays. I assume that image quality is vastly improved and writing accuracy is much better on one of these. It is probably an all around better experience.

If my practice was newer and I had a longer work life expectancy left, I would seriously consider the capital investment. I would use it quite a bit.

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Says the man who invests in only state-of-the-art personal tech [ Surface 3 | Galaxy Note 5 ] :p:D. Just playin!

Bronsky likes this.
  7. pigeontongue

pigeontongue Pen Pal - Newbie

True! It's indeed a cool one!

8. kneehowguys

You know what this is the perfect comic reading device.

Definitely getting this.
    In 50 years when there are cheaper portrait style screens.

Or I guess I could get a dude to help me mount/rotate a big TV.

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

So, you want a piece of me?
    Well, come and get it.
    Computing selfie.jpg

10. kneehowguys

I regret everything

Kumabjorn likes this.