Surface Hub 2 - 50.5" 3:2 ~4K Collaboration Device

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by jnjroach, May 15, 2018.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

She gets around, doesn't she?

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

With one of these I'd probably turn into a hikikomori, a Japanese shut-in (they only go outside their dwelling in the middle of the night to by smokes in the closest vending machine).

But what is up about the video, every damn Hi-Tech video introduction starts out with those dark times focusing on some minute detail with slowly adding light. It is like Genesis 1:1 "Fiat lux", are they playing God in a secular age?

lovelaptops and nnthemperor like this.
  3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Spot on Kuma, was thinking the same thing. The part about staying locked in with this thing, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Marty

Did anyone else notice in the promo clip how she completely changes the screen on the other two guys, and they don't even miss a beat?

[​IMG]

What kind of magic telepathy does this thing give? I need that for my team. :)

dbrn, nnthemperor, JoeS and 1 other person like this.
  5. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

What I don't get is who works like this? I've been working in a high tech industry for 22 years now, and never once have we ever done the kids of things they show in these kinds of videos. They always showcase collaboration and presentation, and sometime a hybrid presentation-collaboration, and it's always supposed in these videos that what you need when you collaborate-and-present is a lot of different kind of data in a lot if different kind of media formats and the ability to interactively edit this data. This just never happens. Seriously.

Think about it. What kid of presentation needs that much stuff? What exactly are they supposed to be presenting? The whole point of a presentation is to aid in the making of a decision. Does any decision you'd make at work actually hinge upon dozens and dozens of graphs and images and maps? Is anyone at the meeting going to go "Hey, the pin on that map is in Burnaby, Not Coquitlam. THE DEAL IS OFF!".

The point being: A if the information is not crucial to making the decision it should not be part of the presentation and B: if you are trying to make a decision that depends upon dozens of factors, you haven't broken your problem down properly and are out to lunch.

And what kind of collaboration is done interactively in real time? And what kind of problem are they supposed to be solving that allows them to pick and choose from this giant smorgasbord of choices on the fly? To make whatever tweaks and adjustments suit their whimsy? Are they planning a wedding? A family reunion? Some other ******** thing that doesn't matter? At work, when you're solving a problem, you need to do something like analysis. And you need to reduce the problem to it's essence: a few key variables that need to be in a crucial configuration for the project to succeed. When you are at work, if you feel like you are at a giant data buffet and get to pick and choose as you like, you are doing it so so so terribly wrong.

The 'data buffet' metaphor for presentation and collaboration is a pseudo workflow that suits the needs of party planners and no one else. The problem is incompetent people everywhere think this is what their workday should look like, and when Microsoft asks them what they'd like out of a workflow this is exactly the kind of nonsense they get told. So companies like Microsoft dutifully craft these fantasy workflows that help stupid people do trivial work badly. Great. Thanks, I guess?

lovelaptops likes this.
  6. YVerloc

That being said. a giant penabled wall-of-screens seems epic and useful. Being able to tap a block model of a building and have it explode into floors labeled "level 1 level 2...". That does not seem useful. "Hey wait a minute? What happened to level 3? It goes from level 2 straight to level 4! THE DEAL IS OFF!"

lovelaptops likes this.
  7. Marty

The thing is...is they actually showed what a real meeting was like, that would be an instant boner-killer for anyone watching lol. Remember, they make these vids so the IT folks can convince the C-Suites to ok that 10 grand purchase. ;)

lovelaptops likes this.
  8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

lmao :p:p:p

YVerloc likes this.
  9. YVerloc

True dat. For sure the C Suite folks think that the people under them are stupid and do their trivial work badly. So it makes sense guess. Sometimes, on rare occasions, it's not true though.

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I'm thinking "2018; A Space Odyssey" - just as a working title