Surface Headphones Review

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by desertlap, Nov 15, 2018.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

One of several
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/15...eadphones-cortana-review-specs-price-features

I tend to like his reviews on headphones. I was onboard with getting a pair of these when they were announced and it looks like they have great connectivity like Apple with their W1 chips, but the sound quality he's describing looks to be.a little to close to beats, which are too bassy for my tastes.

I'll check them out next Monday when they are in stores, but they have definitely shifted from a BUY to a maybe..

2. Cuhulin

Cuhulin Scribbler - Standard Member

The review on Windows Central provides a slightly different view - sound good, usability good, ANC not quite up to Sony and Bose:

https://www.windowscentral.com/surface-headphone-review

Will have to test them too, but I am fairly sure they belong on my Christmas list for my partner.

3. desertlap

I'll post back if I do pull the trigger (and I likely will :) ) And these are something where multiple reviews are quite helpful since "good sound" is highly personal and subjective

4. desertlap

So I bit the bullet and bought a pair since I was in the Microsoft Store.
    Still playing with them, but so far I like them. Extremely comfortable and great noise cancellation. Snd build quality feels first rate.

A little fussy to set up (on an iPhone) and the sound is what the audio fanatics would call warm. I.E the highs seem a little dampened. If I can answer any questions about them feel free to ask and I'll try to respond.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Congrats on the purchase! My question would be: did The Verge nail it in their review? They write

The good
    Ingenious control dials
    Stylish look and premium feel
    Shockingly good wireless performance
    Excellent noise canceling

The bad
    Some comfort issues
    Uncompetitive battery life
    Lacking support for AptX, AAC, or LDAC for higher-quality sound
    Sound lacks refinement and treble energy

Seems like you at least agree with the last line. It's surprising that something like AptX isn't supported, especially given that Windows 10 seems to support it natively. For listening to high quality classical music, the codec makes a difference.

6. desertlap

I do mostly agree with it. I'd say they are the most comfortable headphones I've had but of course my exposure is limited compared to theirs

As to the sound, I mean warm in a positive way, they sound a lot like my much older and heavier Bowers and Wilkins and of course those are wired