Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You could try...

[​IMG]

Or maybe...

[​IMG]

But if you really want to get out there...

[​IMG]

Bishop likes this.
  2. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

Pulled the trigger on a 128GB Surface Go.
    Subsequently went to the Microsoft Store to get the essentials package (I will probably sell the Pen - contact me if you are in West LA and want to buy it)

So far I really love it. Compared to my Transformer Mini this thing is blazingly fast.
    Even though they are ALMOST the same form factor I can't tell you how much better the 4:3 aspect ratio is. It's that small difference that makes this a MUCH better experience.
    The bezels are also not as bad as I thought they would be. The only thing that I really miss is the USB-A port and the inability to "really" charge with 2A 5V or 9V USB chargers.

BTW this USB C PD chargers works incredibly well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FM2T9ZD/

JoeS likes this.
  3. djas

djas Graffiti User

The nSP LTE was rolled-out to commercials first before being offered to consumers a few months later. I imagine it will be similar with the Go.

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I just can't choose. I think maybe I need to quietly concede that I am as old as Kumab was implying. :oops:

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So I'm realllllly feeling old. My first "portable solution " was an Apple IIC with two displays. A green screen at work and a composite adapter to my tv at home.....

BTW, The real beginning of the end for dbase was IV. III was moderately successful by itself but was very successful as the underlying database for tons of verticals in real estate , banking, construction, retail, and manufacturing.

DBIV broke all of those...
    Disclosure: I was a SE for Ashton Tate for awhile

WillAdams, dstrauss and lovelaptops like this.
  6. lovelaptops

Don't feel old - feel wise! If you had asked me the name of the maker of dbase I wouldn't have recalled Ashton Tate, but just the name brings back a rush of old companies, brands, etc. I forgot entirely that dbase became the engine for verticals; I'm sure the vast majority of its revenues in later years came from them, not retail consumers - who didn't really understand dbms back then, if they do now.

My first was an Apple III - I had one of the 47 of them sold! Actually, my company bought one and I was assigned to "find something useful to do with it!" It was in its own little office with the green screen monitor, a thermal printer and a floppy drive only, no HD. This was 1981, the IBM PC was yet to be born. I worked in finance for a semiconductor mfr - Analog Devices, still a big player in DSP and ASIC and the founder and all top mgt were MIT EEs but were a little intimidated by "microcomupers" as they were called then. I discovered Visicalc and found out that when your only tool is an electronic spreadsheet, every problem could be solved with two dimensional matrices of values and text. I found I could create complex financial models that I had been doing on mainframes and "super minicomputers (DEC, DG, Prime) with complicated modeling software in orders of magnitude less time, printing them out on the 80 column thermal printer and taping three page widths together. When it was all done and copied on a business copy machine it looked to all the world like something created by Wall St. quant jocks and ended up selling several models to the company's banks in exchange for a break on interest rates - when the prime rate was 18%!

Thanks, @desertlap , for taking me down memory lane! You can't be much older than I am, and I'm a spring chicken! Cheers!

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@desertlap and @lovelaptops - these kinds of "tangents" are big part of the reason I stay on TabletPCReview forums.

hiramkey, jvloyola and lovelaptops like this.
  8. lovelaptops

Truth, my friend: you have inspired and contributed many of the best - and funniest - tech/life "memorabilia" seen in these threads for many years. :newpalm::hi::thumbsup:

(That's why I all but panicked at the thought that this place's future could be in doubt. Like an old building where many have passed time, hung out, laughed, raved, ranted, aged, etc, this is truly a "place" that really enhances life at times and members, new and old, are friends, who prop each other up [then, when all is ok, we shoot you back down, lol!], help out, and are never rude, unkind or even snooty given the wide disparity of knowledge and experience.)

Ok, back to work...

jvloyola, nnthemperor and cmergel like this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

So, at $549 for the 8GB/128GB Go, what will the LTE cost? Guesses? Does the Pro LTE have GPS?

10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks, @desertlap , for taking me down memory lane! You can't be much older than I am, and I'm a spring chicken! Cheers![/QUOTE]

Yeah, the fact that I knew Visicalc, could use and demonstrate "search and replace" which was a huge feature back in the day, led to a job at a local apple dealer which is where I met the Ashton Tate sales rep and the rest is history... for better or worse (lots of both with the tech industry)