Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sometimes I wonder even more about Brad Sams than Paul Thurrott, but in a Friday summary he claimed that insider sources told him they had "several orders in the 10's of thousands" for the Surface Go...

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the S-mode clarification. Makes perfect sense. So if your primary use is in that mode, you are optimized.

djas likes this.
  3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

My sources confirm this as well...many 4 and 5 digit orders from multiple verticals...

Correct...I'm running Windows 10 Pro in S Mode and I get 7-9 hours of battery life...

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That is impressive...bring on the LTE Panos...

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So it's been an interesting and enlightening experience playing with the go and the Samsung tab s4. They are both excellent devices but are distinctly and in some cases subtly different.

So I'm sticking with my surface go. The limitations of office on android, and the better overall workflow of windows (for me, simply because I've been using it for so long) won out in the end.

I liked the keyboard cover on the tab s4 better than the Microsoft cover for feel, but, in dim light I missed the backlit keys. Also I didn't realize how useful a trackpad was until I didn't have one.

I do think the s4 has some major pluses. It has hands down the best display I've used and it's thinness and overall feel in the hand is better than the go. Plus android is much easier to use in tablet mode and the kindle app is just terrible on windows. Last but not least, the new built in DEX is a major improvement for using the S4 as a productivity machine. I think that if you are not as tied to windows as I am, it's a very viable on the go solution. This is purely subjective, but for what I use the pen for, the S4 pen is superior in terms of feel. I am not an artist and use the pen for quick doodles on engineering docs and markup/editing of technical docs.

I have often wondered why some agonize and go back and forth in these forums about devices and I think this experience gave me the insight, it's a lot easier to be happy with something you need vs. something you want.

Cheers and thanks for all the good input and information

6. djas

djas Graffiti User

Windows 10 Pro in S Mode (or Pro Smode as we called it) is gaining traction in the enterprise space. My SMT is all over it.

7. Mac jones

There's also the kickstand. This is sort of essential for me now, and MS has perfected this (it was always very good).

They just should have an M option. I'm not even sure why they don't, or maybe it's just timing.

So i'm figuring I'll use this until the next version. note: I'll also pick up a Pro once they get their act together; unbelievable they don't have TB3 yet.

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Agreed on the kickstand especially for watching video.

One more question for the group, I bought just the standard keyboard cover with my go and did the same when I had my SP 4, however, my keyboard cover has developed an intermittent issue and since I'll have to exchange anyway, I'm wondering if I should go for the Alacantara. Is it worth the extra $30?

PPS: For what it's worth, my company last week put holds on deploying both surface pros and surface books until October 1. The IT guy says new models are coming...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  9. Mac jones

I read 2019, but earlier would be nice.

10. djas

djas Graffiti User

Yes. That is right.