Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Size matters.

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Are you implying someone may be overcompensating?

nnthemperor and Azzart like this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I wouldn't wait for Black Friday or Cyber Monday to pick up a Galaxy Book. That would be close to 2 years after its release. I think at that point, the bigger issue will be finding any store that still sells it.

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Uhm, I knew I should have stayed with the Galaxy Book instead of going on the 15" surface Book...

dstrauss likes this.
  5. dstrauss

Well, I've decided @Bronsky is right, size does matter, AND I'M GOING BIGGER! It will cost me more (I estimate at least $500) and as soon as the 30 day return window ends I am CERTAIN MS will announce a bump to Intel Gen 8 on the Surface Pro, but I am just doing too much traveling these days, and I CANNOT escape that event horizon called iPhone. I know, I'm a wuss, but this weekend's medical emergency, and the $#!^storm of iMessages (especially group texts) just proved I am locked in - caught between kids/grandkids and 75-85 year old relatives.

Since Apple won't support my office's PPTP VPN , I need another option, and that means a device with LTE built in, and the Surface Pro LTE has every LTE band known to man, and can be here Tuesday. Yes, it is bigger and more expensive than the Surface Go LTE, but it is full Core i5 (even if 7th gen still more oomph than the Pentium Gold).

I'll be watching with interest, and crying as I sell off the Galaxy Books, but Wacom has lost to practical needs of the family, which is as it should be.

PS - for those nice folks who have asked, I did look into a Korean import of the GB12 with 8gb/256gb and LTE, but it only had 3 of the AT&T LTE bands and 2 of the 3g bands - I have enough problems with AT&T service without full band support.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Marty likes this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

In b4 Kuma..

Bronsky likes this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

All I've noticed is that those with bigger wants to go smaller and those with smaller vice versa.
    It's a complicated world.

8. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

Though I’m envious of your new tech purchase and the fun that always comes from a new toy, I can’t help but expect future lamenting over the loss of EMR. That being said, you are going to love that kickstand.

I’m getting tempted myself to pick up a nSP again now that the pen issue has been resolved. Tempted to hold out for 8th gen cpu though...

9. dstrauss

I will ALWAYS lament (and kick myself) for abandoning EMR, but will enjoy the kickstand vs the origami cover (and yes, that very much sounds like sour grapes). Likewise, I wish I were waiting for 8th gen CPU as well - who knows, maybe Samsung or Microsoft will wow the world with a September surprise (or two).

What this really comes down to is personal need vs business convenience, so the decision to "stay in the communication loop" with family and friends lead to putting LTE in the computing device. That first decision was a bit of an epiphany - we don't really use "phones" as phones anymore - it's all about texts, email, and for the more adventurous among us, Facetime et al - so in a number of ways there is nothing to lament...

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Why SP17 LTE instead of waiting on SG LTE:
    • I will be traveling a lot over the next 30-60 days, and the VPN connectivity is critical
    • I'm willing to accept the larger dimensions and weight for better keyboard experience
    • i5 vs Pentium Gold (why suffer any question of "power" when I already know i5 is more than good enough)
    • 12.3" > 10" when it comes to old eyes (so why not 15" then - oh well, gotta draw the line somewhere
    • "Significant redesign" coming next spring/summer - maybe 13.5" smart frame in SP body; maybe TB3 as well; that will require another move while one year warranty still good on the SP17 LTE:confused::eek::D

yodamiked likes this.
  10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

S Mode uses less resources mainly due to the fact that you are unable to install Win32 Apps that can cause battery drain through TSR Components - culprits include Security Suites, Chrome, Dropbox Desktop Client, Adobe Acrobat (and other titles of the CC). The version of O365 that is available via the Store conforms to the UWP install criteria and runs in a UWP Application Wrapper allowing for a clean install/uninstall.

Azzart likes this.