Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

$469...good luck

PS - posting from GN8!0

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks. I knew about that but rarely remember to use it. I hate that everything in Android/Chromebook is icon-driven and I can never seem to memorize what many of them do, and you don't get much help mousing over them. I can't imagine doing it on a phone! Just to confirm, do you find the Android versions coupled with a subscription deliver all the features and functionality of the Windows versions? My wife does some pretty fancy stuff in MS Word for her teaching and I can't even give her my Pixelbook - as much as she loves it otherwise - because she couldn't accomplish several things in Word. With your assurance I will endeavor to learn it better and then show her. I'm finding fewer and fewer reasons not to use Chromebooks vs. Windows for most of my daily stuff. The Pixelbook, for all its faults, is so effortless, fast, and buttery smooth for almost everything, though there was a learning curve to substitute certain windows only apps or functions.

3. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Folks,
    I now totally agree on your statements regarding the poor inking performance of the new Surface Pen on the Go. It's a nightmare....
    I ended up picking the Wacom Bamboo Ink Smart, despite that it cannot attach to the Go magnetically.
    Nevertheless, I still got a Surface Pen through the Go Essential Bundle on sale at Microsoft Store. For #229, I got:
    - Platinum Alcantara Type Cover (~129)
    - The Pen (~99)
    - Office 365 Personal (~69, which I plan to resell on eBay for roughly $40)
    - Complete ($99).

Even if I'm only counting the type cover and the complete, it's not a bad deal already, let alone the recovery from reselling Office 365. So the pen is basically free.

BUT IT IS SO TERRIBLE COMPARED TO WACOM BAMBOO INK!

Dunno if this can be fixed further via a software/firmware update, but I am so so disappointed here.

soh5 and surfaceproartist like this.
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks. Will check it out.
    Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

@lovelaptops

I don't have a subscription so I'm not in a good position to answer. I use the tablets as complements to my PC.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'll give you an anecdotal answer since I do have the full o365 subscription after comparing for the last couple of days on a Tab 4 and my go.. Having the subscription vs. not's major benefit seems to be one drive auto sync so that you can edit on one device then pick right up on the other.

Other major things missing are most of the macros (especially any custom ones like my company uses), in word, some of the column and formatting options (such as for odd page sizes), some of the font choices (again especially things like foreign or custom).

Excel is missing pivot tables, and some of the more advanced search and replace functions. Powerpoint is missing about half the prebuilt templates (although if you edit a presentation that was created on say a pc you can use them). It also doesn't support as many media types, and some of the transition styles are MIA as well.

Again that's just after playing with the two for a couple of days. As others have stated, the interface is also greatly "streamlined" I think to make it touch friendly. But the net effect is that it slows you down considerably if you have built up a workflow memory.

Ironically, the web apps which you can access from any browser, seem to be better organized and at least as feature rich as the android apps.

Take this all as one persons opinion , one who bought a GO liked it until he saw his daughters Tab S4 and thought the grass may be greener, but is finding lots of ruts and holes on the other side.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    lovelaptops, nnthemperor and djas like this.
  7. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't see any benefit in staying in S-mode. It's meant for education, or possibly business. Switching takes seconds.

The idea that it's safer is silly for the average person.

And the new pen may be wonky, but it sure is nice. It looks like a big improvement over the previous pen, as far as ergonomics go (I haven't bought one yet)

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I thought S Mode used less resources and that was one of its advantages.

9. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

Really? That's interesting. I'd like to see a graph. So I guess if there's an app in S-mode that runs 20% better than in standard mode, then of course that would make sense.

But then your still limited to that app and ones like it, which would make this device pretty restricted. It's not like you can switch back and forth. If you could, it would make more sense to me.

But i'm dubious about S-mode for power users. I thought it was for groups of...whatever. ( MS's push into bulk orders)

10. djas

djas Graffiti User

As you mentioned above, S Mode is getting to be a big deal in enterprise and I reckon, education. One of the many reasons is the very thing that many Windows power users complaint about: Registry and software rot.

As a customer, you have choices. Choices' cool....:)

lovelaptops likes this.